[ 30 ]

The thing about caring for someone so dearly is that when you lose them, it barely takes a second before everything loses colour and light; the world you've come to love because they lived in it turns upside down. All that remained was hatred, torment and a whole lot of rage, so much that it could destroy you from the inside out.

That was the first mistake Aine made that night before she made another of getting caught up in her thoughts when she shouldn't be, which resulted in her getting exposed to the Snatchers and Deatheaters at Dartmoor Forest. Though between her first and second blunders, the first had cost her more— She should never have left her brother and Draco's side to pursue her curiosities. She should have stayed behind in the manor to protect them.

How could she ever forget the place they were living in? The number of vipers slithering around, waiting to sink their venomous fangs into the people she loved and using them to tear her apart. What a blinded fool she had been, Aine thought to herself. 

Seeking the truth was dangerous, and having clear motives that drove her forward was risky. She was always careful to not get trapped but she was greedy. The desire to know and learn what she was curious about was a double-edged sword. She was looking in front the whole time, not knowing that the end of the blade had curved right behind her. 

And the price? 

Instead of losing herself, Aine lost the ones she loved: the people who gravitate her existence back to her humanity instead of the monster she was born to be. She had lost the remaining piece of her true family.

A shaky breath escapes Aine's lips after the revelation. The last thing she saw in Cal's memory was Aion's sinking body and his blood dyeing the lake. He didn't resurface, he only fell deeper into the abyss. Away from home and gone with the currents— Alone.

Even when they promised one another they would never leave the other in solitary.

She staggered backwards, feeling the marble floor beneath pull her down. Her breathing became rough, her heart was wrenching in pain as though someone was crushing it. Nothing and no one was going to understand the pain she felt, nor describe the agony she was feeling. Not even herself. She couldn't bring herself face to face with the loss. 

No... Not Aion too.

"Y... You... Killed... Him," Aine whispered so softly, her voice cracking as pain flashed by in her odd-coloured eyes that prickled with tears. She slowly turns her head from Cal to Voldemort and then to the rest of his followers. Cal messing with her loved ones was something she foresaw, he never left her alone and would take every chance to break her more than she already is. But her birth father had a hand in getting rid of Aion astounded her. She never felt so betrayed by him especially when he promised her he wouldn't touch Aion as long as she performed her duties and played her role. Which she has. All this time.

What a fool she was...

The Riddle lady shook her head, watching her fragile world start to shatter under the weight of her powers and emotions.

The room rumbled and the floors and walls started to shake. Bits of the stoned pillars crumbled apart as though having been pounded by a hammer. The cracks in the walls spiderwebbed towards the window panes, forming hundreds of lightning-like lines; they begin to chip away, disintegrating into smaller shards. The flames on the candles illuminating the drawing room dwindled and hushed away one by one until the only light source came from the fire in the mantle. However, instead of being snuffed out like the rest, the fire roared stronger in the fireplace, engulfing and torching the wood into ash. 

Even the scarlet roses that bloomed ostentatiously started to wilt under Aine's fingertips. The deep red colour reminded her of the last memory she saw of Aion: the blood that pooled from his lips, trickling out of his body and painting the lake he fell into. All decaying and drying out black to the point the flowers were unrecognizable. It was all drained of life in mere seconds from the resentment she felt.