[ 12 ]

During the few days that had gone by when Aine was recuperating, there were few minimal changes around the young woman who wasn't just getting used to seeing a new appearance of how her damaged eye was looking. The Deatheaters around the manor have been treating her more cordially and regarding her with even greater respect, both out of admiration and mostly fear. They often would kiss up to her and randomly spout empty compliments hoping that she would put good words to her father for their courteous behaviour. But praises were not what Aine sought the hear, she just did not want to further entangle herself into their yarn of mess if she could.

In the end, it was all fake anyway, at least that was what Aine felt. It was all the necessary moves for the climb for higher power and title, to overtake the other pieces on the chessboard.

After the ordeal she had with Voldemort, many in the ranks of her father's army also began to question their leader's power. Seeing how he had failed to acquire Aine's remarkable powers only left the Dark Lord with humiliation, especially when most of his pawns were in the room that night when he had been overpowered by his daughter. 

She was unpredictable, ruthless and had immense destructive powers that matched her father's. If anything, she was even more dangerous than before. This was probably why some of his Deatheaters began shifting their allegiance to the younger as they saw the potential of her being the one who would reign over the Wizarding World instead. 

However, Voldemort would never allow that to happen, even if Aine was his child, his heir. For he believed that it was his birthright to be the one ruling above everyone else, not the other way around.

However, there was no denying that he could see the strife in his army: how everyone was once again torn apart and doubting his capabilities. Voldemort could not let there be more discordance happen but then again, he didn't know what to do to appease his daughter. She was a difficult child to crack and her avoiding him ever since what he had done, wasn't making it any better. The longer she was uncooperative, the more disharmony it caused in his people, fracturing the bonds and loyalty he had spent his entire life building. The empire he established with all of his blood was collapsing from the inside, even before the war outside the walls began.

Hence, instead of using threats to constrain his daughter in her place which could risk even greater downfall, the only thing left he could do was yield to her. Just this once. He wouldn't deny the fact that although he desperately wished for Aine's powers of Death, he couldn't kill her. His daughter was right, the more he pushes her over the edge, the harder he fights to steal what she has, it will only prove the lengths she was willing to go to ensure he can't get it.

And that was what Voldemort feared. He'd rather not physically attain the powers he so wanted for himself than lose them forever should he keep driving Aine to her limits. Otherwise, he could kiss whatever he has ever dreamt goodbye as his child destroys it all. He did not want to gamble it without any backups. And until he finds Aris, there is no other way to it; Aine was the only person left who inherited such powers after all.

Handling her father and his army wasn't the only problem that troubled Aine these days. It was also having to deal with her dear brother whom she hadn't been able to talk much ever since she woke up. Aion had gone quieter most of the time when the siblings were in each other's company and that's how Aine had known something was up. It was oddly rare for Aion to not speak much especially when he usually did. That, and how his expression was always darkening whenever he saw his sister.

An expression that Aine recognized— The face of guilt...

"Draco?" a voice caused Draco to turn back to his room from his seat at the opened window connecting to the balcony. "Have you seen my brother?" Aine asks one afternoon.