3

↿♥︎.∞︎︎.♥︎↾

Henry walks me to the door like a gentleman — like it's a real date. I give him the same tight lipped smile I've been using the whole drive back to my – our – apartment. We didn't talk. No music played. Just silence as we both processed the dinner where his parents believed we were a couple.

    I slide my key into the lock, pouring all my attention into that one small task. Still it doesn't stop me and every nerve in my body from noticing Henry lean against the wall beside me. My stomach clenches. That- that is a good look for him. A really good look.

    "Dakota," he murmurs in that low, rich voice of his. Despite my desire to disappear inside my apartment where I'll be safe from feelings, I turn and match his pose, leaning against the door.

    "Yes?"

    Henry smiles at me, and I curl my hands into fists to keep from reaching out to him. Never before in my life have I had this kind of reaction to a man. Not even my ex, who shall not be named, made me feel like this. It's unsettling.

    "Thank you. For going along tonight and making my mom so happy. I'm sorry I was a jerk. I shouldn't have misled you. I should have told you from the beginning, or told my parents about Megan and my break up. It was unfair of me to force that on you. I'm sorry."

    I reach out and set my hand on his forearm, trying to keep from noticing how even it seems to ripple with muscle. "I'm not going to say it's fine because it's not. You should never ever do that again. But you're forgiven." His lips curl, but the smile doesn't quite reach his eyes. Those gorgeous eyes. I shrug, moving my mind off his good looks. "I had fun tonight. Your family's awesome. Now, nothing against you, but I would rather you clear things up with them. I don't need to keep up this whole fake dating thing. Makes me feel like I'm in a Hallmark movie or something."

    Henry laughs, a rich deep sound that sends the butterflies I thought were dead fluttering. "It does seem like a Hallmark plot, doesn't it? I'll clear things up with them. Make up a story about not being a fit or something"

    I nod, relief coursing through me. "That sounds good. I guess I'll see you around?"

    "I'd like that. I'm just down the hall if you need anything," Henry offers, motioning to his door. I nod again, reaching for my door handle. "Goodnight, Dakota."

    "Goodnight, and thank you again for tonight. I meant what I said earlier." I give him a soft smile, pulling the door open.

    "It was my pleasure," he says, nodding his head. I step inside and shut the door softly behind me, sliding to the floor. A sigh rolls out of me as Faye runs into the room.

    "So was it a date?" She blurts.

    I rock my head side to side, trying to decide how to answer. "Yes and no? It didn't seem like it, until we got into the restaurant. Then his parents greeted us, along with his two sisters. His sisters knew something was up, but his parents didn't. They thought we were dating." I cover my face with my hands and groan. "They thought I was Megan! But they didn't know my name, so I didn't have to pretend to be Megan, just Henry's girlfriend."

    "Woah. I did not expect that." Faye settles onto the floor across from me, shaking her head. "He seemed better than that."

    "That's what I thought too! And the worst part is: his sister thinks their mom is going to want to see more of me. Henry thinks he can just make up a simple break up story about not fitting together, but I'm not so sure they'll accept it."

    Faye's hand settles on my knee, and I raise my head to look her in the eye. "Would that be so bad? Pretending to date the handsome guy a few doors down? I mean it's bad he lied to you and his parents, but he seems like a nice guy."

    "From what I saw tonight, he's the very best kind of guy. Aside from the whole lying thing."

    "See? It could be fun."

    Tears fill my eyes, and I bite my lip. "But what if I fall for him? Like I did with Seth," I whisper.

    Faye scoffs. "Henry is nothing like Seth."

    "How do you know? We've barely met him." I take in a breath before my next admission. "I'm scared, Faye. I already feel more for him than I ever felt for Seth."

"Oh honey," Faye sighs, pulling me into her arms. I settle my head on her shoulder, tucking my feet under me. Romeo, Faye's adorable little beagle trots over to snuggle. "Everything will work out, you'll see."

I chuckle through my tears. Maybe she's right. "We'll see."

"Dang right we will. But first, ice cream and a romcom. I'll even let you pick."

Faye stands, holding out her hands to help me up. I take them, and while she gets the ice cream, I change into something more comfortable. Nothing beats watching romcoms and eating ice cream in sweats and a hoodie with your best friend. Nothing.

I settle on the couch, picking up the remote from the seat next to me. As I scroll to find a good show, Faye brings in the ice cream. One cookie dough pint for me, one cookies and cream for her. We've debated the differences many nights before, but I'm not going to start that tonight. I've had enough drama for one night.

I finally picked one of our comfort movies over a new one. Faye curls up next to me, so I lean on her. Romeo jumps up in between us, hoping to sneak some licks of our ice cream, but Faye sends him down to his bed on the floor.

As the opening credits roll, I feel the tension slip from my shoulders. Everything will be alright.

↿♥︎.∞︎︎.♥︎↾

A/N: aww I love besties! Faye is top notch too. Ooh second time Seth has been mentioned, what do y'all think about him? Definitely not a good memory for Kodi, but where does he fit in?? Leave me all your lovely thoughts please!!
---->

↿♥︎.∞︎︎.♥︎↾