9

↿♥︎.∞︎︎.♥︎↾

I get little glimpses of Henry for the next week, but no dates and definitely no almost kisses. I'm trying not to let it ruin my mood. So far it hasn't worked very well.

I'm this close to just grabbing him the next time I see him and smacking a kiss on those perfect lips of his. Not that I spend a lot of time looking at his lips... Depends on your definition of a lot.

Tonight's game is going to take a whole bunch of self control and probably won't help said self-control much. Am I going anyways? Yes, yes I am.

Grams calls me as I walk to a lecture. I realize as I answer that unless Theo still has a big mouth, she doesn't know about Henry. My parents don't either. Oops.

"Heya Grams!"

"Dakota Anne Firth. It's been two weeks since you've called me. Are you hiding something from me, missy?"

I chuckle, running a hand over my hair. "Sorry, Grams. I'm not hiding anything, I promise. I've just been busy. Made a couple new friends."

"Ooh, any cute boys?" She hums, and I hear a little commotion on her end. Probably Duke her adorable cat.

Of course she goes straight to the one topic I would rather not talk about. Just because we're in such a weird place. I'm not hiding anything.

"Well, um, yeah? A neighbor of mine is a hockey player, and we've hit it off."

That applies to friendships too, right?

Apparently, Grams doesn't think so when she squeals like a little girl, and I think she even throws her phone because it gets quiet for a second before she comes back.

"Are you done yet?" I drawl, adjusting my bag.

"Can't an old lady celebrate when her only granddaughter falls in love?" She retorts, and I can hear the smile in her voice.

"Grams," I groan, hopping up the concrete steps to my classroom. "I barely know him, there's no way I'm in love."

Probably, that stupid voice in my head taunts.

"We'll see," she chirps.

"This isn't one of your romance movies, Grams. We might go on a few more dates, but it'll most likely just end in a breakup like every other relationship I've been in."

"More dates? Child, you have been hiding something!"

"Alright, we went on a date or two. So what? My point still stands. He's not my soulmate or whatever it is you call it."

"Don't be too hasty, child. Give it some time."
I imagine if she were here with me, there would be a twinkle in her eye. She just wants great grandbabies.

"I will, and I'll show you it's nothing. Now, I've got to get to class, but I'll call you before the hockey game tonight."

Laughter quivers in her voice as she tells me goodbye. She's reading too far into this. Probably.

Still, I can't shake thoughts of Henry as the lecture begins. The way he smiles at me when he thinks I'm not looking. His thoughtfulness. The rumble of his laugh. Oh, that laugh. It never ceases to make me want to laugh right along with me.

I slip my notebook out of my bag, hoping notes will help me pay attention. It works for all of ten minutes. Then my pencil starts drawing a pair of skates in the corner of the page, and I drop it like it burned me. None of that.

I switch my notebook for my laptop, but my gaze continues to flick down at the time as I calculate the amount of time before the hockey game. Every. Five. Seconds.