15

↿♥︎.∞︎︎.♥︎↾

I searched the web for the perfect gift for Henry and it turns out, there is none. So I had to settle for a Fernview hoodie that I can steal if things work out. I added that bit to the end of my note because despite my courage to strip aside my walls, I don't know that I could manage it face-to-face with Henry. We'll see.

I give myself a pep talk in the bathroom mirror for a solid thirty minutes on Christmas morning before making the short trek to Henry's apartment door. I spend another five moving back and forth to get the courage to raise my hand and knock. Just as my hand moves towards his door, it opens, and I come face-to-face with Henry.

Naturally, I freeze with my hand in the air and mouth wide open. Henry smirks at me, doing his leaning thing against the doorframe.

"This is a pleasant surprise," he murmurs, taking me in. I drop my hand, shoving it into my pocket.

"Hi." I stand there awkwardly, shifting my weight from foot to foot. "Merry Christmas," I finally supply. "I, uh, here."

I shove the wrapped gift and note, which turned out to be three stinking pages long, and step back.

"Thanks," Henry replies slowly, watching me carefully. I stare at the package in his hands, a war raging inside me.

"Gah," I eventually blurt, throwing my hands in the air. "I messed up. I never should have ran, and I should've talked to you sooner. This whole thing has been miserable, and I know I could've avoided it if I would've just said something."

Henry holds up a hand, forcing me to stop my rambling. "I need to apologize."

"Just wait, please. I need to get this out." He nods, brows furrowed. I take a deep breath, avoiding his gaze. "When that woman–"

"Megan."

My eyes snap to Henry's, the slightest glare there. "Megan then. When she leapt into your arms and kissed you, it brought back things I hadn't felt since Seth's betrayal."

Henry winces, rubbing his neck. I plow ahead, not acknowledging his reaction.

"I felt like any feelings I thought you had for me had been from my imagination, and that I had taken things too fast and fallen in love again only to fall flat on my face. It took some time, and a few forceful comments from my brother, but I realized I had overreacted."

Henry shakes his head vehemently, but once again, I ignore him.

"I thought I had worked through my issues, but I hadn't and for that I'm sorry. I'm sorry I didn't tell you I loved you, and I'm sorry I ran away, and I'm sorry I ignored you for so long. If I could go back and change things, I would."

Henry's still shaking his head when I finish. I sigh, feeling every emotion I had about the whole situation rush out of me with my exhale. It's so freeing, I almost cry. However, I refrain when Henry finally meets my eyes with a look that could rival even Flynn Rider.

"Dakota, you have no reason to apologize. I should never have let Megan jump into my arms or kiss me the way she did. I knew things would end badly, and they did. I lost you, and it's been killing me ever since. I–" He grunts, hitting his hand against the doorframe. "I have never felt the way I do for anyone until you. You've changed my world, Kodi, and I hate that I broke your heart in such a stupid way. If there's any way you could ever forgive me, please tell me. I want to be in your life however I can."

I push down a smile tugging at my lips and gesture to the gift in his hands. "Open your gift."

"What?" He chuckles. "Right now?"

"Yes," I exclaim, nodding. "Right now."

He sighs, pulling at the wrapping paper until the sweatshirt is revealed. Looking down at me quizzically, he shakes it out. "Fernview University."

"I got it so that if you gave me the chance, I could steal it when it smells like you." I get more and more self-conscious as I speak, and my cheeks warm while he processes the thought. "So what do you say? Do I get the chance to steal it?"

Henry tosses the hoodie aside, grabbing my shoulders and positions me just inside the doorframe. It's my turn to look up at him quizzically. Oh so tenderly, he tips my head up with a finger until a small green ball appears in my vision. I gasp, looking back at Henry. He shrugs, a tiny, smug smile tilting his lips.

Grabbing the collar of his shirt, I drag him down for a kiss.

↿♥︎.∞︎︎.♥︎↾

A/N: Holy hotdogs! It's basically over! How did that happen? I freaking love this ending to their story, and I was jumping up and down and grinning from ear to ear when I wrote it (true story). I cannot wait for y'all to find out about the next story, and I hope you've loved this one as much as I have.
Leave me your thoughts!
---->

↿♥︎.∞︎︎.♥︎↾