6

↿♥︎.∞︎︎.♥︎↾

I roll over, tucking my pillow more firmly beneath my head and arm. I've always been a pillow hugger. I know, I know. It's weird.

I can't sleep. As much as I was ready to just fall into bed, sleep is eluding me. I have thoughts of a certain guy plaguing my mind. Wait, that sounds wrong. He's only on my mind because I'm freaking out about our situation. He says he'll fix this, he says he's sorry, but unease still knots in my stomach. And it worries me.

What if this is just a game to him? What if I'm the only one catching feelings? Faye would tell me I'm worrying over nothing, that he's just as into me. I'm not so sure. Even if he seemed to want to kiss me twice tonight. I don't want something that is only full of physical chemistry.

Morning comes way too early after tossing and turning all night. I finally drag myself out of bed and go through the motions of getting ready for class. Leggings and a sweater are the only things I have energy for today. My hair gets brushed but not styled. My lashes are curled but no mascara.

I sludge to the kitchen only to find a bouquet of red roses sitting on the table. A small card rests against the vase. I don't know how long I stand there staring at the flowers before Faye comes up and pokes my shoulder.

"Kodi? Are you dead?"

My mouth flops around for a second before I find words. "You wouldn't happen to know if those are for me would you?"

Faye smirks. "Henry dropped them off earlier while you were still in bed."

I have no idea how Faye is an early riser. It just doesn't make sense. My brain finally processes what she said. Henry. Henry brought the flowers.

Faye nudges me, nodding towards the bouquet. "You should go read the note. I'm dying to know what he said."

I nod, slowly moving forward and grabbing the card. Flipping it open, my eyes scan the words.

Dakota,
Again, I'm sorry if in any way I've overwhelmed you. I've always been an all-in kind of guy, and sometimes that's too much for people. I'm sorry. I never should have forced you into pretending to be my girlfriend, and I should have talked with you more before taking you ice skating last night. I got lost in my head. I apologize.
I've come clean to my parents. They feel horrible on my behalf. If there's anything they can do to make up for my behavior, please let me know.
If there's any chance of you forgiving me, I have a hockey game at Bronzer Stadium tonight at 7. The second ticket is for Faye if she's interested.
Henry

Wow. Just wow. Henry is proving to be a pleasant surprise.

As the letter tips down in my hands, Faye rips it away to read it herself. I find myself admiring the roses before me, reaching out a hand to touch their delicate petals. Faye must finish reading because she lets out a holler right in my ear. I wince, shifting away. Romeo's nails click on the floor as he trots over to see what all the fuss is about.

"Ohmagosh, I knew he was amazing, but I never imagined this! He took you ice skating? And then wrote an apology letter with roses! AND tickets to his hockey game! We're totally going."

"Oh, I don't know, Faye." I reach up to pinch my nose. "Isn't it a little weird to go to your fake ex's hockey game?"

"Psh we don't care. He definitely doesn't. Let's. Go. I need to have some fun."

I sigh, letting my hand drop. "Fine, but I'm not dressing like a fan."

Faye takes the win with a shrug. "No one said you had to. When do you have class today?"
"Eleven and three. You?"