8

↿♥︎.∞︎︎.♥︎↾

I chew on my lip, my eyes glued to my phone. Faye told me not to text him, and I... didn't listen. Now I'm waiting for him to respond. It's taking an agonizing long time, and I'm starting to panic.

Faye left me only ten minutes ago for a photo shoot, and almost three minutes after leaving, she texted to remind me not to text Henry. Which I naturally ignored just like I ignored her when she verbally told me.

I'm starting to regret ignoring her.

My phone lights up with a text, and I lunge for it. Fumbling to unlock it, I breathlessly find a message from Theo.

Faye mentioned you have a date tonight...
When were you going to tell me?

My mouth drops open. Since when has Faye talked regularly to Theo? About me?

Uhhh
I would've told you sometime...
Probably

I drop my phone on the couch and wander to my room. Henry will be here in an hour. I should probably get ready. Theo's ringtone goes off shortly after I open my closet doors.

I sigh, trotting over to scoop it up. I answer his video call as I walk back to my room. "I promise I would've told you if it goes anywhere."

"Uh huh. Keep telling yourself that, Didi."

"I will," I shoot back. "Since when have you and Faye texted about me?"

"Since I moved away and needed someone more reliable to keep me updated on your comings and goings. Now stop avoiding telling me about the date. I want details."

"Fine. Remember that guy I was telling you about?" I begin, hoping he won't remember all the details.

"The one who you were fake dating?"

Drat. He remembers.

"Mhm. Well things are all sorted out and we're going out tonight for real." I avoid Theo's piercing gaze by examining my clothing options. A bunch of sweaters stare back at me, none of them scream 'date with ex-fake-boyfriend' though. Unfortunate.

"Didi..."

"Yes, Theodore?" He hates being called by his full name. I hate the way he's looking at me.

He sighs, and I see him rub at his forehead from my peripheral. "I don't like this."

"What?"

"You know what, Dakota."

Ouch, okay. "I like him, Theo. He- He treats me like no one else treats me. He's sweet, and interested, and–" I stop when Theo gives me the look. The look that says I'm not helping my case.

"That sounds just like what you said about Seth."

My heart stutters to a stop. No, that can't be. Seth was... different. Wasn't he?

"He's different. I swear. Faye will vouch for him." I raise my eyebrows, hoping that he'll let this go.

"Faye would vouch for anyone who gave you the time of day." I open my mouth to contradict that statement, but he beats me to it. "Anyone, Didi."

"She didn't vouch for Seth, so at least there's that."

"Alright you have me there." Theo pauses, eyes softening. "I just don't want you to get hurt again," he murmurs.

"Unfortunately, you can't protect me all the time. This is a risk I'm willing to take. I trust Henry."

"Okay then, I guess I trust him too. For now."