5

↿♥︎.∞︎︎.♥︎↾

Dinner at Nova's new apartment is... nice. A little strained on my part, but the food and company is good. Henry takes every opportunity he gets to touch me or kiss my forehead or do something else that's couple-y. I use them as an opportunity to show his parents just how ill suited we are. It doesn't seem to work. On our way out, Mrs. Daunt invites me to their family dinner on Sunday. Family dinner.

I force a smile and make up some excuse because Henry has gone all stiff and silent beside me. We say our goodbyes, and he walks me to his truck. Once we're both buckled and the key is in the ignition, Henry groans and hits his head against the steering wheel.

Instead of the apology I expect, he looks over at me and asks, "Have you ever been ice skating?"

My head jerks back. "Um, maybe once at a birthday party when I was like seven."

"Great, tell Faye not to wait up." He grins and pulls out of the parking lot, heading the opposite direction of our apartment complex.
"Henry, I said one date."

"And I'm taking you on it," he counters, not deviating from his course.

"Henry."

"Dakota."

Goodness, I love my name on his lips. But that's not the point.

"I never agreed to this, so it's basically a kidnapping."

Henry sighs. "Dakota, may I please take you out ice skating?"

"Why?"

He huffs. "Are you always this stubborn?"

I lift my chin. "Yes. Now answer my question."

"My parents were wrong about some things, but they weren't completely wrong." My forehead wrinkles in confusion. Glancing over at me, he gives a soft smile. "We most definitely have chemistry, and I want to spend more time with you without my parents hanging on our every word. Let me take you on a date. Please."

Oh. I was not expecting that. "Well... I guess it wouldn't hurt to go ice skating," I said as Henry grins. "For a little while at least."

He swings into the parking lot of a huge building with two hockey sticks crossed on the logo. This looks... fancy.

My insides aren't the only thing that shake as Henry holds my quivering hand to help me out of his truck. This could potentially be the best or worst night of my life. I can't tell if I'm excited or terrified.

Thankfully, I don't trip on the walk inside, but I don't think it's going to stay that way once we hit the ice.

    Henry hands me a pair of skates, grinning like a fool. He helps me lace them up and get onto the ice. Of course, I still fall onto my butt the second the skates connect with the ice. Henry laughs hard, somehow keeping his balance while doubled over.

    "Shut up," I huff, trying to get my feet under me again. Henry grabs my arms, lifting me up. Even once my feet are sturdy, his hands stay wrapped around my wrists.

    He pushes backwards with his feet, pulling me along with him. "Follow my lead."

    I do as instructed, and somehow I keep my balance. Ice skating is actually kinda fun, and Henry is a great teacher.

    "How do you even know how to skate so well?" I ask as he hopelessly tries to teach me how to spin.

    He coughs. "That's- that's not important. Tuck your arms closer."

    "Henry." I give him a stern look. "Tell me."

    "It's really not important, Dakota." He sighs. "Really."

"If it's not important, then why won't you answer the question?" I huff, planting my hands on my hips. I wobble a bit from standing still and it ruins the firmness I was going for.
Henry's lips twitch with a smile, and he shrugs. "I don't want you to think differently of me."
I roll my eyes. "It won't change how I think of you. Pinky promise."

That smile that Henry was trying to hide finally peeks through. Tossing his head back he laughs, rubbing his face with his hands. "Alright. I'm a hockey player. It's my job."

That... That seems so small. "Wow. That's not what I was expecting."

"And what were you expecting, Dakota?" Henry asks with an amused smile, his arms crossed over his chest. Somehow as I was processing his declaration, he slipped closer to me and now he's right in front of me. I can feel every breath he takes, and I most definitely have to tip my head back to meet his eyes. Holy hotdogs he is a lot taller up close than I realized.

Did he ask me a question? I honest to goodness can't remember right now. His blue eyes never leave mine as his hands snake around my waist. Great, now I can't breathe either. Could I breathe before? This man has me all jumbled up.

I slip backwards, falling on my butt. Luckily, the distance and slight embarrassment brings back my ability to think and breathe with it. He asked what I was expecting him to say as the reason he skates well. Something other than hockey.

"I just figured you were very serious about figure skating as a kid," I explain with a shrug, pushing back to my feet only to fall once again.
Henry laughs, shaking his head and offering me a hand. His ability to pull me to my feet while staying on his feet still surprises me. The second mine are under me, I skate towards the arena door.

"It's getting late, I'd better get home."

"I drove us here, remember?" Henry calls back.
I freeze, fear slithering in my belly. He's not going to use that to force me to stay, is he? He can't be like Seth. He seemed so good...

Henry comes up beside me, eyebrows furrowed with worry. "Are you alright, Dakota?"

I meet his eyes, the fear that knotted in my stomach dissipating. Henry's not Seth. He was just reminding me that my car's not here. Being a gentleman.

I nod, giving Henry a small smile. "Yeah, just tired, I guess."

"I'd better get you home then," He responds with a hand to my back as he helps me out of the skating rink.

My shoes are on before I know it, and I feel like I'm in a daze. I need to shake myself out of it before Henry notices.

He asks questions about my classes as we drive home, and I return them with questions about his career. Still can't believe he's a hockey player. Professionally. The conversation is light, but a little strained at least on my side.
Once again, Henry walks me to the door of my apartment. Only this time, he hesitates after saying our goodbyes. Swallowing, his eyes drop to my lips. Oh. I slip back slightly.

"I'll see you around, Henry." With that, I slip into my apartment without waiting for a response. Romeo trots over to me sleepily, nuzzling my leg. I hope Faye's asleep. As much as I love her, I really don't want to recount the night's events to her right now.

I get ready for bed as quickly as possible, checking my phone just before going under the covers.

There's two texts waiting for me. One from Theo telling me that I've got this. And the other is from Henry.

I'm sorry if tonight was too much.

↿♥︎.∞︎︎.♥︎↾

A/N: OH OH OH OH WHAT?! Henry kidnapped her?! AND THEY ALMOST KISSED??? iS tHiS a kIsSiNg bOoK? And Henry's text 🥹 What's Kodi going to decide??
Give me your thoughts!
---->

↿♥︎.∞︎︎.♥︎↾