12

↿♥︎.∞︎︎.♥︎↾

I had completely forgotten about my laundry until I found it folded on my bed. Faye won't say anything about it and neither will Henry.
At least I have clean clothes. That's kind of necessary.

I also may have impulse bought a fan jersey for the Monsoons that has Henry's name and number on the back. I haven't decided if it's a good idea or not.

My phone rings in the kitchen, and I drag myself out of bed to answer it. It's my mom. I swipe up, holding the phone so she can see my face on the video call. "Hey Mom!"

"Hey there, darling. How are you doing?"
I must pause for too long because she narrows her eyes at me.

"What boy has you turned around?"

"Mom!" I laugh. "How did you know it was a boy?"

She waves a hand through the air, moving to sit next to my dad in the outdoor wicker chairs. "Moms know these things." Turning to my dad she says, "Kodi's met a boy."

Dad turns to look at me, and I feel my cheeks flush.

"His name is Henry. He lives down the hall and plays hockey professionally. We've been dating casually the past couple weeks."

I hesitate, looking off at the counter.

"You want him to be more," Mom says softly. "Don't even try to deny it, I can see it in your eyes."

I nod, tears pricking my eyes. "It's just happened so fast. I don't- How do I know it won't turn into a train wreck like last time?"

Mom smiles at me gently. "You don't. But that's just a part of falling in love." She winks at me, eyes sparkling. "It just makes it all the more magical when you find the right person."

Tears freely stream down my cheeks, and I swipe at them furiously. "You weren't supposed to make me cry, Mom."

"It's a mother's gift," she chirps, shrugging her shoulders. "Now when do we get to meet your Henry?"

I laugh, sniffling back more tears at the sound of "your Henry". "I'm going to one of his games tonight, I'll check with him and see if there's a time we can come over."

"Oh, we're not home right now. We're in the Bahamas for the next — what is it? — Two weeks? Come over in January. We'll be waiting."

"What are you doing in the Bahamas?" I ask, moving to my room.

"Adult things," Dad quips.

"Oh stop it," Mom chides, slapping his chest. A small smile touches my lips. I love my parents. "We're mostly lounging on a warm beach."

"I'm jealous," I whine. "Text me pictures to look at while I wait for my car to defrost."

Mom cackles, throwing her head back. "Alright, darling. We'll let you get back to your life. Love you."

"I love you too."

The call ends, and I sigh. I can't wait for a relationship like theirs. Something in me settles at the thought that Henry could be my person in the way my parents are each other's person.