4

↿♥︎.∞︎︎.♥︎↾

I don't see Henry for a few days, not until he's standing at my door when I return from a lecture at the auditorium. I nearly drop my books. Holy hotdogs, how does he look even better in sweats than he did in a full blown suit? That's not even fair.

"H-hey," I manage weakly. His lips press together like he's trying to hold back a smile. I narrow my eyes at him, moving towards my door. He leans against the wall next to my door as I go to unlock it, and I can feel his body heat.

"Hey."

My key finally makes it into the keyhole, and I twist it. The wrong direction. Quickly, I fix my mistake, hoping— praying — Henry didn't notice. The slight quiver to his shoulders tells me he definitely noticed. Pushing my door open, I plan to make my escape, but Henry thinks otherwise. He places his palm on the door, leaning the slightest bit. I decided to let him talk so I pulled the door open a little more. He moved his hand from the door and started rubbing the back of his neck, then let it drop and looked into my eyes.

"I, uh, talked to my parents but they didn't believe my excuse for why we 'broke up' and they still want to see us again. I guess they think I'm just trying to get them off my tail so I can spend more time with you alone." He gives me a slow grin but it drops when I don't return it.

I blow out a puff of air, my hands falling to my hips. "Seriously?" This is crazy! Who would've guessed that me walking through an argument would lead to me fake dating the guy? Definitely not me.

"Do you think we could let it play out a little longer? Maybe go on a few more dates with them?" He gets a crease between his brows, and I have the strongest — craziest — urge to smooth it out.

My head tilts as I shove the thought from my head, and consider his request. We've only interacted three times now, and I'm already developing feelings for this man. Any more and I'll be hooked. "One date and then you tell them the truth."

My offer honestly kind of surprises me. Why do I care if his parents don't know the truth? I can come up with enough excuses for why I can't be there for them to finally take the hint. Probably. I've never actually had to do it before.

"Ok, I'll try." He glances at the floor, seeming to gather his courage. "I know it's sudden, but they want to see us tomorrow, at Nova's new apartment."

When my eyes meet his, in a question, he shrugs. "We're celebrating. Do you think you could be there?"

I step back, shocked. They want me at such a private event? This is hurtling faster than I ever expected. "Oh, um, I— I think I'm free. I'll have to check. Can I text you when I know for sure?"
Pulling out my phone, I open it to my contacts app. He takes it, his fingers brushing against mine with an electric kind of shock. A few seconds later he passes it back.

"Sure, I hope to see you then Dakota. Have a good day." He gives me a small smile, brown eyes twinkling. Turning around, he gives me one last quick glance over his shoulder. Like the dumbstruck fool I am, I stand there with the door hanging open as he strolls over to his apartment. Woah. That was... I don't even know what that was.

Faye walks up behind me, resting her chin on my shoulder. "Sooooooo when you two get married, can I be the maid of honor or is that place reserved for one of his sisters?"
I shove her away, rolling my eyes. "We're not getting married, Faye."

"Yet," she counters, raising her brows and holding up a finger. "You're not getting married yet, but I bet you one day you will be. That man is just as into you as you are him."
"Think that all you want, but it doesn't make it true." I shut the door, moving towards our tiny kitchen. Breakfast was hours ago, and I'm starving. I whip up a quick sandwich, stuffing it into my face as I flip through the chapter I have to read for my Psychology class. It's all about classical conditioning, which is kinda interesting. I'd love to test it out, but that seems a little rude. Messing with someone's brain? Yeah, no thanks.