Chapter 17 - Season 2.17

Maddison was sat with Hazel as Mr.Schue was stood at the front writing on the whiteboard. 

  "All right, we need$5000 to pay for our trip to nationals in New York." 

"What about the money we got from the Cheerios?" Quinn asked.

"I guess Sue was hiding it in offshore accounts in the Cayman Islands, and we're having some trouble accessing some of it...Any of it." Mr. Schue informed the teens before turning to the piano and picking something up. 

"This is saltwater taffy."

"I love saltwater." Brittany commented, but this went unnoticed by the others 

"When I was a student here, we paid for our entire trip to nationals selling this." He then chucked a piece of taffy at Finn and other teens sat in the room before continuing "Classroom to classroom, door to door. We pushed his stuff like crack. And so will we. So, to make $5000 at 25 cents apiece, we need to sell 20,000 pieces of taffy."

"Wait. Do you honestly think that we can sell 20,000 anythings? We won regionals for the first time since dinosaurs roamed the planet and I still got a freaking cherry ICEE facial." Santana commented

"Santana's right. Nobody cares about us." Quinn said

"Not to state the obvious but you were in school like what 30 years ago? everything then was cheap as fuck compared to know. I bet your nationals tickets didn't cost a quarter of what ours are, and you expect us to sell and pay for those tickets with the same crap you did 30 years ago? We would have better luck doing a bake sale or singing for money." Maddison commented and lets be honest was she wrong? Before Mr. Schue could say anything Mike started to walk out the room.

"I can't listen to this."

"Mike you okay?"

"No. You guys complain all the time about being mistreated, but you have no idea what it's like to work your butt for something and have everyone, even your friends, ignore you...Artie, Tina, Britt and I are on the Brainiacs."

"Isn't that the Academic Decathlon team?"

"We have one of those?" Finn asked with a mouth full of taffy

"Yes, we do and the four of us went on the Smarty Pants Show and beat Carmel High to go to the Academic Decathlon finals in Detroit next week."

"Wait, you guys were on TV? Why didn't you tell us about it?"

"We did." The group of four said in unison 

"Wait. I get the three of you begin on the team." Mr. Schue started to say but Puck interrupted.

"Is it because two of them are Asian and Artie wears glasses?"

"No... But Brittany?" Maddison felt bad for her friend, everyone was so quick to underestimate her, but Brittany was actually a genius and watching her on TV the other night just further validates that.

"Liz Schneider was out fourth, but she got rubella."

"Her parents are hippies who don't believe in vaccinations."

"Brittany was the only person we could find on short notice...We bribed her with Dots. That Sunshine Corazon that Rachel sent to a crack house was on the other team." Artie then went on to explain how Sunshine got their team to 500 points before Brittany got the subject of cat diseases and quickly caught up to Caramel High. Arite then answering the winning question when the category of white rappers came up.

"Sadly, we can't afford to go to the finals, so, we're gonna have to forfeit."

"Why don't you just have your parents pay for it?"