Chapter- 4

Reynolds's POV

Immediately, I was caught unaware.... cop, oh no, not one but three of them, how did they know.... Gosh they weren't a part of my plan. It felt as if my world had come to a halt. My brain was short-circuited and heart began to thump rapidly. I was bewildered, how could it happen, how did anyone suspect me..... I was never a very social person but I always maintained a façade of smile, help and acted like an ordinary man.

"Mr Williams, miss Johnson here.... your daughter's friend and co-worker in the café 'Lemon and Lime Barista' claims that you are physically and mentally harassing your daughter.......... so I would like to see her and maybe have a little chitchat with her" he said in a penetrating voice and immediately I felt my blood ran cold. I paled and croaked "she isn't here". His face was tensed, his grey eyes watched me wearily he took a few forward steps and I instantly backed way, mentally cursing myself for letting him inside the house. "Then where is she?" he countered on my face. I stuttered "I-I told you... s-sh-she isn't here". "And I very well know that you are lying" he shot back without looking at me, his eyes were busy in assessing the surroundings.

"I told you she isn't here... she...she-" "No he's lying, I know he did something terrible to her because Jenny was always hurt somewhere or the other and she was always scared and so nervous.....It has to be him because I heard her cries myself today" my wobbling was cut off by the girl, Juliet's yelling. She breathed heavily and I shivered violently like a rat. I knew that it was all over but still I pushed Juliet over the cop and made a run to the front door but I failed because the grey eyed cop lunged over me from behind and meanwhile the other two cops came around running. "Go, search for her but don't touch anything" he grated to Juliet and one another cop while he hand cuffed me.

He commanded another cop to check my briefcase while he tried to interrogate me.

Suddenly we heard a girl's shriek and I knew that they found her and I started to laugh like crazy..... I was in ecstasy my last prey had suffered the same fate as all others. They caught me.... but they were late, they lost her.

I laughed so hard that I fell to the ground and hit my head but nothing could cloud my happiness. I kept on repeating 'she's dead, like her mother... like all of them'. The other cop found my knife in my briefcase and his eyes shot daggers at me but I didn't even bat an eye because I felt dead inside me, I knew there was no point in even trying.... It was all over. My only happiness was that I completed..... what I started, she was dead or so I thought.

I was lost in my own thoughts that's why I didn't realise when the paramedics arrived and the entire house was sealed with tapes. I saw them carrying her out in a stretcher along with a crying Juliet but I failed to notice the oxygen mask on Jenny's face and yelled "You lost again like you all did ten years ago... when I killed my own wife, nobody caught me... such foolish d**k heads....and you lost again today..... she is dead, I killed her with my own hands and my own knife" and laughed manically. I didn't care about anything, I was in a euphoric haze. But the grey eyed officer ended it short, when he slapped me hard on my right cheek, he moved damn fast he pulled me up roughly with his hand on the back of my neck. He locked his eyes with mine and seethed with barely controlled anger "she is alive.... she was breathing". Outrage and disbelief pulsed out of me in huge waves. "No no nonono.......this isn't possible, I killed her.... she is dead." I shrilled. "No you dumbass you failed.... you blinded us all ten years ago but today your daughter is the reason for your downfall... she is a survivor" he gave me a dirty look. I struggled to get out of his hold and tried to fist punch him only to get collided with his punch on my ribcage and get kicked on my shins..... I fell to the ground and gasped heavily. I looked up and he leered at me "Your days are over Reynolds"

Please read, vote and comment!

Julie