Chapter 2

Astrid's POV A Month Later

Berk is covered in snow just in time for our annual holiday, Snoggletog. It will be peaceful since the raids stopped but it won't be the same without Hiccup.

I collapsed on my bed exhausted from hanging up shields on the tree in the plaza. I looked over at my desk to see a small box sitting there. I went over to it and opened it up. A Night Fury scale lay in the center with a leather cord poking through and carved in the scale was the strike class symbol. I picked it up and slipped it around my neck. I read the note that was left there as well:

I hope you like the necklace. It's something to remember Toothless and me.

Hiccup's POV

"Bud I don't want to spend the holidays alone." I said cleaning up my breakfast dish.

You have me!

"I know but I mean I want to socialize with a human being!" I insisted.

You have a point. Where do you suggest we go? It better not be Berk.

"No no of course not. Come on. I know someone I can trust. He's out in the ocean somewhere." I replied strapping on the saddle to his back.

Trader Johann?

"Yeah! I trust him." I clipped on my cloak and climbed on. "Let's go find him!"

Toothless took off of the balcony of our house and flew above the ocean eyes on the ice. After a while I spotted a ship with Trader Johann at the helm. He backed up grabbing the nearest weapon as Toothless landed.

"Whoa. It's okay. He won't hurt you and neither will I." I spoke softly stepping closer.

"Who are you?" He asked with a quivering voice.

"Promise not to tell anyone who I am?" I asked and he nodded reluctantly. I pulled my hood down, "It's me, Hiccup."

"You're riding a Night Fury. How?" He asked putting the weapon down.

"That's not important. The point is I ran away from Berk a while ago so it's important you can't tell anybody that it's really me when you get there. I can't go back now and I was wondering if we could spend Snoggletog together since it's just Toothless and me on our island." I explained hopefully.

"I'd love to! I wanna hear everything! If I had known you weren't at Berk anymore I would've came to your island to trade with you!" The trader replied.

I took out a piece of paper and a charcoal pencil and drew where I lived handing it to him when I was done, "Feel free to come anytime you want. Thank you!"

Trader Johann and I sat down telling stories of our great adventures, mine mostly. Toothless had a nice long nap and we each toasted to our heroic stories. When the sun was setting I finally stood up.

"I better get going. It's late. Thank you for everything Trader Johann." I shook his hand.

"Anytime lad." He smiled.

"Where are you headed next?" I asked him waking up Toothless.

"Berk actually." He replied.

I climbed on Toothless, "Uh please don't tell them who I am. Just call me the mysterious rider I guess if someone asks."

He nodded and we took off heading back to our island.

"That was really nice, Toothless." I murmured.

Good, you're getting lonely.