This Burning Memory

It's about 9:00pm and the last of the guest say their goodbyes and head home. The Frollo's had decided to have some friends over for a barbecue to enjoy a beautiful summer day that turned into a pleasant summer night. Some of the friends have helped them clean up most of what was left of the party, all that was left was straightening up the yard. Zephyr, being the over zealous eleven year old, decided to cary an armful of lawn chair cushions.

"Zeph, be careful near the fire pit. It's still hot." Warned Ica

"I know mum, I'm being carefu-woah!"  Zephyr tripped over on of Roary's dog toys dropping several of the cushions. "I'm okay!" He said as he scrambled to his feet laughing.

Claude shook his head at his son, amused. "Well she did tell you to be careful son."

"Zephyr gave a wry smile. "I was careful. Roary left his toy and it got in my way. You really need to talk to him about leaving his toys in the yard." As if Roary had heard him, he came bursting out of the dog door and barreled right into Zephyr knocking him back down on the ground. "Roary! Chin fou!" (crazy dog)  He yelped trying to push off the 70lb dog. He covered Zephyr's whole face in slobbery licks.

"Well, guess you can tell him yourself now." Said Ica laughing out loud, her husband joining in.

"Very funny!" Roary finally got off Zephyr, grabbed his toy and began to run around the yard giving three joyous barks egging Zephyr on. Unable to stay cross with his furry friend, he began to chase him around the yard in a game of keep away.

Claude watches his son and huffs a laugh. "That boy never ceases to amaze me."

"You used to say that about me all the time." Ica walked up beside her husband and he kissed her tenderly on the cheek.

"Well of course, he gets that from you, mon amour." He kissed her again, before turning to bring the last of the things in the house.

"Zephyr, come on in, it's getting late."

"Okay mum. Come on boy!" He called out to Roary.

When everyone's inside, Ica turned off the porch light and locked up the house, then heads upstairs. "Hey Zeph, why don't you go wash up, and then I'll be right up to say goodnight, okay?"

"K mum." Zephyr bounds upstairs, grabs his pajamas, and hopped in the shower.

After about 20 minutes, Ica finally heads upstairs, but when she went to head into Zephyr's room, she heard the soothing low voice of her husband. When she popped her head in, she saw Zephyr snuggled up to Claude's side, eyes glued to a book he was reading to him. Roary was snoring at the foot of the bed, and the two cats cuddle together in the dog bed Roary hardly ever uses. They didn't notice her at first, so she watched them with a quiet smile on her face. When Claude finished the last chapter of the night. he closed the book and looked up, noticing his wife smiling at them from the doorway."

"So, I guess I was a little late to the party." She said.

"Well dad was already up here so, you know." Ica strode over to Zephyr's bed and sat down.

"I see. Well I still get to kiss you goodnight."

As Zephyr settled himself under his blankets, his parents tucked him in and kissed him goodnight then head off to their own bedroom. Claude hopped in the shower as Ica slid into her pajamas. She heard her phone vibrate. When she looked down, it was a text from mum #2. When she opened it she saw a picture of Buddy snuggled up to Benji. "Awwww Bud Buds." She said smiling affectionately down at the phone screen. She shot her a text back to say goodnight and plugged in her phone into charge. Suddenly she felt Claude lift her up from behind causing her to give a surprised yelp. He plopped her down on the bed on her back and  hovered over her on his hands and knees. He looked down at her with a mischievous smile on his slender face. His towel hung loosely around his thin waist threatening to come undone. He leaned in and kisses her tenderly on the lips.