The Wondrous Beauty of Italy

It's 4 a.m. and Liam and his little sister Nessie are just waking up. Today they would be taking a trip to Rome for a week with their adoptive father Atticus Finch. They have been planning this trip for six months and the day has finally arrived. The eager siblings took off to each other's rooms, not knowing that they had both woken up at the same time. The two of them met in the hallway, colliding with each other, audible 'oofs' escaping their lips. They fell to the floor in tandem with a loud thump.

Atticus, who was still asleep in his room, jolted awake and sat upright, feeling around for his wire rimmed glasses. "Kids? You okay." He called from his bedroom.

Nessie and Liam looked at each other, temporarily stunned from the impact, but then burst out in a fit of laughter. "Yeah dad! We're fine!" Liam called back, still laughing as he helped his sister up.

The Canterfiction Tales

"Oh okay. I thought I heard something but maybe it was in my dreams." The two siblings clapped their hands over their mouths muffling more laughter. "I'm glad you two are up early though. Are you excited? Today's the day!"

Nessie jumped in the air. "Immensely excited!"

"Good, now you kiddos go get dressed."

"Already on it!" They said in tandem, as they ran back to their rooms.

***

Once everyone was dressed, they began to load up their luggage in the car. Nessie, being a tad overzealous, tried carrying a suitcase, two carry-on bags, and a bag of snacks. "Ness...are you sure that isn't too much?"

"No Liam, I've got it!" She said as she wobbled out of the door and towards the car.

She doesn't have it. He thought to himself. Sure enough, once Nessie got to the car, the load in her arms proved to be too much and she dropped the bag of snacks, followed by one of the carry-on bags sliding off her shoulder and catching in the crook of her elbow. The momentum and weight of the bag was enough to pull her over. For the second time this morning she fell over and ended up on the ground. Liam hurried out of the door. He looked down at her with his hands on his hips and one eyebrow raised. "Didn't I say it was too much?"

Nessie gave an innocent shrug and looked up at him with her big green eyes. "Well yeah, but I almost got it in the car. But I'm not hurt." She chuckled.

The Wondrous Beauty of Italy

Liam's expression softened as he bent down next to her and ruffled her white hair. "This reminds me of when we went camping when... mum and dad were still alive." A hint of sadness flashed in her older brother's eyes. Nessie leaned over and wrapped his arms around his neck.

"I miss them too." She whispered. Nessie thought back to the time where they lived at Mink's Orphanage, run by a kind woman named Isabell. Atticus had visited every day to read a book entitled My Book of Bible Stories before he had decided to adopt them. He had showed them the scripture, Revelation 21:4. "And he will wipe out every tear from their eyes, and death will be no more, neither will mourning nor outcry nor pain be anymore. The former things have passed away." A small smiled graced the ten year old's freckled face. "Remember Revelation 21:4." She said as she pulled away to see his face.

Liam smiled back and gave a single nod. "Yeah. Now come on, let's get this stuff you dropped in the car."

As the siblings picked up the bags and put them in the trunk, Atticus walked out with the last of the luggage. "Everyone got everything?"