one

The Harris Family

As the Harris family drives into a town called Riverdale, Amayla Harris reads her sixth book while soaking in the breeze that was running through her fluffy, poofy, straight hair. Everything was peaceful and quiet. Until Diana started talking.

"I can't believe we had to move! I mean, it's not fair! We lived in Colorado since the beginning, Mom!"

"I know, Diana, but look on the bright side! You and Amayla get to start off fresh without the drama."

And by drama, it was Mr. and Mrs. Harris's drama. You see, Mr. Harris is a big-time lawyer with major money along with the gratitude of handling a case that changed the course of history. The case involved a teenage boy stalking a girl whom he almost sexuality assaulted and strangled, but luckily, Mr. Harris handled the last clue before it ever happened. He kidnapped her, but police arrived and arrested him before he could do anything that would traumatize the girl for the rest of her life.

Mr. Harris was the talk of Colorado until people from the town accused him of being a selfish black lawyer who put an innocent white boy in prison. Mrs. Harris knew the situation was going to become violent, so they both agreed to leave the state they love and start off fresh. Riverdale. Amayla didn't really somewhat enjoy Colorado anyway. Especially since her old school wasn't the fit for her.

Due to Diana and Amayla being the only black and mixed kids in Colorado, Diana had a lot of friends. Meanwhile, Amayla was just a tag along or her nerdy little sister by a year. Kids used to point out how Diana had long, curly, and thick hair, and Amayla has long, fluffy, straight hair. Amayla always felt that Diana was embarrassed by her due to her not embracing her confidence and social life.

"Amayla, are you alright, sweetie?" Mrs. Harris says as she looks through the driver's mirror to stare at her other child.

"Yeah, Mom, I'm okay."