fourteen

It has been half a month since Reggie & Amayla had kissed. Amayla had been avoiding Reggie for a while now. She just didn't want anything to make the situation more complicated.

Riverdale High was having a spirit week, and Kevin, Betty, and Veronica were convincing her to participate in the fun week the school has every year.

"Come on Amayla it will be fun!" said Veronica.

"Yeah, then the Friday of the Spirit Week we have a school dance! We can go together!" Kevin said.

"I'm not sure guys," Amayla said as she stops typing on her laptop. "I have a schedule with my studying."

"Take a break," said Betty. "You work too hard Amayla... Please???"

Amayla sighs as she looks at her friends' puppy doll eyes. "Fine, Let's do this." She exhales.

The three both jump and down and pull Amayla in on the group hug. Spirit Week couldn't be so bad. Right?

●●●●

Amayla walks home and sees Reggie talking with a girl. She is one of Vixen's cheerleaders named Abby. Abby was Diana's right-hand woman, but Abby never really liked Amayla. She always acted fake nice towards her. Abby twirls her hair and gently caresses Reggie's arm. Amayla walks past them until she hears their conversation.

"Come on Mantle~ Go to the School Dance with me," she flirts. "I promise I will make it worth your ride.~"

Reggie is silent as he watches Amayla walk into her house. He gulps as he stares at Abby while saying his decision.

●●●●

Amayla is in the pool, swimming her worries away while hearing the echoes of the water screaming in her ears. She hears her name being called but thinks it's her imagination. All she wanted to do was be alone.

"Amayla!" Diana yells.

Amayla rises to the surface and rubs her eyes. It's Diana and Reggie staring at her.

"You have a guest~," Diana says as she leaves them alone. "Have fun!"

The two just stare at each other. It's been so long. Amayla swims to the stairs of the pool and gets out while squeezing her hair.

"W-what are you doing here?.." She asks.

Reggie clears his throat. "I want to say something important."

Amayla's heart starts to pound fast, hoping for the words she wanted him to say.

"Amayla, I have liked you ever since this school year. Ever since you moved basically. And I can't remove that kiss from my head. I know you're not looking to date right now, but I want to take you out to the school dance and to go on a date with me."

"What about Abby?" Amayla asks him while remembering what happened earlier. "Mantle, I am not going out with you. I'm focusing on my education right now."

Reggie smirks.

"Well, I'm not going to stop asking until you say yes. You seem very responsible when it comes to consistency, Amayla."

"You're going to be a distraction."

"I won't. Just one date. And if you don't enjoy it, I promise I'll leave you alone."

Amayla exhales.

".... Okay."

Reggie blinks in surprise while Amayla runs back into the house. She blushes hard while running into her room and slides onto her door. Did she just say yes? Amayla kicks her feet in the air while she rolls around the floor, thinking about how great of a week it will be.

●●●●

It is Monday morning in Riverdale High, and Spirit Week has just begun. Every student was in the mood, including Amayla and her friends. The students run into the gymnasium, filling up seats. The Vixens and The Bulldogs are supposed to come out today for a Prep Rally, and while the boys barked like dogs and the girls cheered, Amayla was trying to look for Reggie within the Bulldog Crowd.

The Vixens cheer for their Bulldogs as they run around the gymnasium hyping everyone up. Reggie spots Amayla in the crowd and takes off his football jersey in front of the whole school. Everyone starts to freak out and wonder out of curiosity.

"What the heck is he doing?" Betty asks.

Reggie throws his jersey at Amayla, making the whole gymnasium stare at her. Amayla holds the jersey in her hands in shock while looking at Reggie being play tackled by his teammates.

Kevin and Betty scream with the rest of the gymnasium at what just occurred. Veronica claps in silence while staring down at Reggie. She remembers that jersey all so well.

After the Quarter 3 Football Game of last year, they hooked up for the first time at the Pembroke; she had washed the jersey for him and put it on just for him. He liked seeing her in his jersey, how small and delicate she was inside a big shirt. And now she sees him give it to another girl, who warmly smiles at him looking at her. Veronica noticed the difference between Reggie's hookup look and his 'in love look. And he wasn't giving her the hookup look. How did she know this? Because he gave her that look a long time ago.

Veronica pulls out her phone and texts Andrews. "You better fix this situation and fast." And as she sends the message, she cheers and hugs Amayla, knowing what her plan was going to fall into.

●●●●

The Prep Rally is over, and while Amayla was walking down the hallway, she sees Reggie walking toward her.

"Hi," he smiles. "Did you enjoy your first bulldog rally?"

"Exciting," she replied. "But I didn't expect this." She holds out the jersey in front of him.

"It's yours," Reggie replied. "And I was wondering if I can take you out tonight?"

Amayla blinks. "Pop's?"

Reggie shakes his head. "Think again."

"Hmm," Amayla says while thinking of what to say. "Movie?"

Reggie smiles and cups her face. "Just wear something comfortable, we're going stargazing tonight."

"How did you know I like stargazing?" Amayla asks.

"A little bird told me." Reggie smiles as he kisses Amayla's head and starts holding her hand down the hallway.

Amayla accepts his hand, feeling how strong, big, and warm his hand feels intertwined with hers. Her heart beats fast as girls glared at her, including Abby. But something told her not to care, a quote Betty once told her to not care about what people think. She dunked all the negative away; she liked Reggie a lot, and she wanted to be his girlfriend. Even if some people in the world didn't like it or not.