twenty-three

"Look at my baby girls, so stunning."

"Dad, please take the picture!? You're taking too long and now you're making my smile hurt." teethed Diana.

Mr. Harris shot the photo and finally, Diana stops smiling and rubs the side of her cheek.

Amayla dusts off her silky white dress while looking at the door. Reggie should be here any minute now. She looks in the mirror and fluffs her hair a little more so it's more curly and poofy.

Betty & Kevin walk behind her and stare at her through the mirror.

Kevin smiles. "You look great Amayla, Reggie is going knock his socks off."

Betty smiles and hugs Amayla from behind. "Agreed."

"Thanks, guys, it's just that I want this dance to be perfect."

"And it will be," Mrs. Harris replied while walking towards Amayla and holding her gentle hands that were covered with long, white, silky, gloves. "I just want you not to be overwhelmed okay?"

Amayla smiles. "Okay."

●●●●

Reggie closes the empty black box in his hands and shoves it inside his jacket. He texted Veronica and she didn't respond until the hour before he got ready, saying to meet him in the Biology room during the dance.

Reggie hesitated but later accepted the invitation. The plan was simple, he confront Veronica, get the bracelet back, and give it to the rightful owner. Reggie rings the doorbell as he quickly adjusts his tie, loosening the tight grip he put around his neck. Mr. Harris opens the door and scans Reginald up and down in the protective fatherly judgment.

"Where are her flowers?"

Reggie's eyes widen. "I-I didn't-"

"Just kidding with you. It's not Prom. Just a school dance. I want Amayla home by midnight. Understood?"

"Yes sir," Reggie replied. "I will."

Mr. Harris moves aside while Reggie walks in and sees her. Amayla stands in front of him, making his heart pound even more for her. Amayla standing there, in that beautiful white dress made him realize in so many ways why he loved her. She made him wiser, more open-hearted, and happier; happier than he had ever been in years. Reggie walks towards her and smiles, Amayla smiles back at him, blushing lightly.

"Hi..~" she smiles. He smiles back, staring into her eyes. "Hi..~"

Amayla smiles and tucks a hair strand behind her ear, nervous about how she looked in front of him. But in Reginald's mind, she was perfect. She'd always been.

"You're so beautiful.." Reggie says out loud while noticing everyone's reaction to his comment.

"Heck yeah, she is~~~" Kevin cracked.

Betty elbows his shoulder. "Shut up Kevin they're having a moment!."

"Both of you Hush." Mrs. Harris said while pushing everyone out of the room.

Reggie nervously smiles while looking down at Amayla. Amayla blushes and kisses his cheek, feeling the heat of his cheeks rise upon his face. Reggie smiles and reaches for her hand and holds it, feeling her soft skin pressed against his.