twenty-six

"Dad is so going to feel my wrath." Diana whispers to Amayla while sitting in the airport seating. "Everything that has happened is because of him!."

"Lower your voice, Diana.. we're going to Colorado, and we're going to figure this out."

Diana exhales and lays her head on Amayla's shoulder while Amayla lays her head on Diana's. As they watch the clock tick by the minute, Amayla and Diana both want the time to go by slower; What can they say to their father? How could he lie to them for so long?

"I'm back," Reggie says while holding  pretzels. "They were out of hot dog bites."

"Damn, I was really craving that. Are there any Cinnamon bites?" Diana asks.

"Yeah, I got Cinnamon." Reggie replied while giving Diana the Cinnamon bites.

"Thanks, Mantle." Diana says while snacking on the sugary bread bites.

Reggie sits down next to Amayla and gives her a warm pretzel, "Thank you, Baby.." Amayla says while pecking his cheek.

Reggie smiles. "Baby? I like that."

Amayla warmly smiles and interlocks her hand with his. "Me too."

"So, how long is the flight?" Reggie asks while chewing his food.

"Only a couple of hours," Amayla replied while wiping the crumbs off of Reggie's cheek. "It won't take long."

Diana turns to them while wrapping her scarf around her neck, looking at the time. "Hey guys, we should start walking to the line to get on the plane."

Amayla dusts off her pants as she stands up and looks at the TV that says,'Colorado Flight: 1:13 p.m'; and as Reggie looks down at her, knowing what will happen in just a couple of hours, holds her hand, intertwining with the gentle strength she needs right now.

"You ready?"

Amayla looks up at him and nods. "Yeah, I'm ready."

●●●●

'Riverdale seems so far away,' Amayla thought. Amayla leans over Diana, watching her listen to music with her eyes closed. She looks up at Reggie, slowly starting to doze off. Reggie leans on Amayla's shoulder and falls asleep, cuddled up in their blanket.

Amayla warmly smiles and kisses Reggie's forehead while looking at her laptop of the movie that they were watching on Netflix a couple of hours ago. Shutting off her laptop, Amayla goes on her phone to see no notifications from her parents; feeling the disappointment, anger, and heartbreak to see her notification screen empty.

Amayla slowly closes her eyes and cuddles closer to Reggie, finding a warm, delicate, and comfy spot to cuddle her boyfriend.

●●●●

"Alright, ladies & Gentlemen, we have just landed in Colorado! We hope you had an amazing flight and fly with us again."

Amayla opens her eyes to see everyone starting to get up from the long flight. Reggie opens his eyes and yawns softly while looking at Amayla. "What time is it?" Reggie asks with his sleepy face.