twenty-eight

In the Colorado sweet, warm, and bright morning, Reggie slowly wakes up to the honey glazed aroma flowing through the house.

He goes downstairs to see Amayla, baking homemade criossants, while glazing the fresh, big, puffy criossants in homemade honey glaze.

"Smells great," Reggie smiles. "Like Heaven."

Amayla smiles and goes to him while standing on her toes and kisses his lips. "Just wanted to make a little something for my boyfriend.~"

"Thank you, girlfriend.~" Reggie said.

"Ahem."

Amayla and Reggie turn around to see Mr. Smith, holding his toolbox again with his garage boots on. "Smells great, sweet pea."

"Thanks, Grandpa~"

Mr. Smith glances at Reggie before shaking his toolbox; indicating that he was about to work on fixing his car. "Reginald, correct?."

"Yes, sir -"

"Help me with my car before you eat. You'll be with me for a couple of hours."

"But Grandpa, I wanted to -"

"Don't worry, sweet Pea, I'll have your little boy toy back soon." Mr. Smith replies while walking out the house.

Reggie follows him, while Diana walks into the kitchen and grabs a fresh, fat, glazed criossant.

"Grandpa is going to kill him?.." Amayla asks.

Diana wipes the glaze from the corner of her mouth. "Definitely."

●●●●

As Mr. Smith and Reggie get into the garage; They go straight to work. Two hours, they worked on the tweaking of Mr. & Mrs. Smith's 1953 covertable, then for an hour, they dusted their chimmy on the roof while Mr. Smith was making Reggie shove the wire chimmy brush up and down like a manic.

Three hours later, Mr. Smith and Reggie start chopping tree logs by the Monument Valley Park, where Mr. and Mrs. Smith live across from.

Reggie exhales as he roughly lifts the axe and chops another log down. Mr. Smith looks up at him while tossing the logs into his truck. "You tired, boy?"

"No, Sir, not at all." Reggie replied.

"I'm impressed, I thought a city boy like you wouldn't be capable of handling a man's job. Proved me wrong. Never assume."

Reggie rests the axe down while taking off his working gloves. Meanwhile, Mr. Smith sits down on a chopped tree log and pulls out a cigarette box out of his pocket. Reggie continues to put the newly chopped logs in the truck until Mr. Smith breaks the silence.

"You love my grandaughter, do you?"

Reggie stops what he's doing and looks at Mr. Smith smokes his cigarette while he stares at the waterfall nearby. "I know that look anywhere. The look of when you stare at somebody and you just know you want to be with them forever."

"Like you and Mrs. Smith?"

"Ha, yep. We met when we were you and Amayla's age. At that time, everything was simple, sometimes hard but simple."