Chapter Five

❝sonder (pronounced ˈsɒndə or son-der), noun
the realisation that everyone is living a life as vivid and complex as your own❞

Another week passed. Hunter grew lonelier and sadder. Rose started her university course in medicine again, and was hardly ever home. Elle was the only thing that could make Hunter happy. She was beginning to smile a lot more now, though she still cried quite often.

Hunter woke up one morning, with Lilly's blanket over his legs. He stretched, and went over to Elle's crib. She was sleeping peacefully. Her hair was thicker on her head now, and Hunter liked how fine and soft it was. He gently lifted her from her cot and held her against his chest, kissing her head. "Good morning, my Elly-Belly," he murmured. "It's been two weeks since you've been born. Two weeks since your Ma left us. But it's okay. We're doing good. We're doing great."

Elle stirred in her sleep, and Hunter made his way down into the kitchen to put her in her bassinet before starting to make her formula. He noticed a note on the fridge.

Hunter, classes started early today, I'll be back later on tonight, I have some other stuff I need to do.

-R

He nodded to himself, and began to mix up the formula, before realising there wasn't enough left for him to make an adequate amount for Elle's lunch that day. After finishing the last of it, he tried to pour himself some cereal- the first time he would eat something that wasn't takeout or a "Just add water!" meal- and wrinkled his nose. The milk was off, and the cereal stale. He sighed, turning to the pantry to try and find some bread for toast, but all of it was blue with fungi. How had he and Rose survived all this time?

"Alright," he said to the still-sleeping Elle. "New plan. Hunter and Elle Hayes- the trip to Walmart. How does that sound?"

Elle woke up quite suddenly, and began to cry, and he picked her up, kissing her forehead soothingly. "Shh, shh, here, have your breakfast," he said, holding her and bringing the bottle to her lips. She latched on immediately, drinking for dear life, as though she would never have food again.

"It's alright, sweetheart, we're gonna figure this out together," he said gently, before kissing her head again.

<><><><><><><><>

He stared at the vast array of butters, milks and breads, and shook his head to himself. How did Lilly do this every week? There were so many options that it made his head hurt.

"What do you think?" he asked Elle quietly, and Elle gurgled. He looked back at all the choices, and decided to buy the ones that looked the most familiar. He went to the baby food section and bought a couple of packets of formula, and walked over to the front desk with Elle and a trolley full of groceries.

The lady, probably in her late forties, smiled at Hunter. "Hi, sir, how are you?"

"I'm alright, and yourself?"

"Fine, thanks." The woman picked up the formula and frowned. "You know, breastfeeding is better for the young 'uns than formula is. You should tell her mother that."

Hunter raised his eyebrows. "Excuse me?"

"Tell her mother that breastfeeding is better for her."

He was silent, before saying very quietly, "Ma'am, her mother died in childbirth. I can't do what she can. I'm doing my best."

The woman went pale. "Oh. I'm... I'm sorry, sir."

Without replying, he took the bags of groceries and left, with Elle in her stroller and carrying the food.