Chapter Forty-Eight

❝love (pronounced lʌv or luhv), noun
a feeling so powerful that it can change everything.❞

Hunter woke up after falling asleep awkwardly on his hard wooden chair. He groaned slightly, all his joints stiff and painful. Elle was still asleep and a nurse was tending to her. Elle looked like she had gone through enough of the hospital to last her a lifetime. Her arms were riddled with IV's and bandages. "Mr Hayes, I gave her a sedative to make sure she doesn't feel any pain. We'll be starting testing tomorrow."

He nodded. "Thank you."

The nurse left, and Hunter pulled out his phone. It was eleven pm. He sent off a text.

Hunter: I'm sorry.

He waited for a response. After a few minutes, when he was about to give up, he got one.

Ryan: Me too.

Relieved, he sent another message.

Hunter: Where are you now? Did you go home?

Ryan: No. I'm at the hospital cafeteria.

Hunter: Stay where you are, I'll come find you.

Ryan: :)

Hunter stood up, kissing Elle's forehead once. "I'll be back soon, darling," he murmured. Then he made his way to the cafeteria.

Ryan was alone, sitting in the back with a plate with nothing but crumbs on it and a half full cup of chai tea. She seemed to sense when Hunter was within close proximity and looked up. He came and sat beside her. They didn't speak to each other for a little while.

"How... how is she?" Ryan asked finally.

"Sleeping."

She sighed. "Hunt-"

"No, don't apologise," he said. "I went too far. I shouldn't've said what I did. I'm sorry."

She shook her head. "Hunt, I'm sorry. I should've known that you aren't really in your right mind at the moment."

"We need to stick together," he said. He studied her more closely. "Ry, have you slept at all since the night before last?"

She shook her head, and he said concernedly, "Are you feeling alright?"

No. Everything hurts. I need a hug. Or someone to lean on, really. But you need that too. And I'm scared that if I tell you how I feel now, you'll be even more worried that I'm not okay, and that's exactly what you don't need right now. I'm even more scared that you made me feel anger so intensely. I'm not one to get angry. I don't know how you make me feel so much emotion at once, and that scares me so much, because with that power, who knows what you could do? I feel so helpless and alone. I feel like I need you, but at the same time, I want to be alone and away from everyone.

"I'm fine," she said steadily. "Just a little tired."

"I know how you feel. How you really feel, I mean."

She looked up, catching his eyes, and he whispered, "Come here, my dove."

She hugged him, and she felt something wet soaking into her hair. He was crying. "We're gonna be okay," he whispered tearfully. "We're gonna stick together, and then we're gonna get through this. I love you so much. I'm so sorry."

"I know," she whispered. "I know it hurts. I love you, too."

They didn't need to say anything to each other. They didn't need to speak, or to look at each other. They just held each other, because that's what they both needed. Each other.