Chapter Thirty-One

❝panic (pronounced ˈpanɪk or pan-ik), verb
an instance, period, or moment of such behaviour.❞

"Thanks for dropping me off, Hunt. Mel said she only wanted about ten minutes, so..."

"I'll come back to pick you up in ten minutes, then, I gotta go pick Elle up anyway," he said. "You're sure you'll be alright?"

"Of course. You're worrying too much."

"As a dad, and as someone who cares a lot about you, of course I am," he said petulantly, and Ryan smiled, kissing his cheek.

"You have nothing to worry about. Okay? It's just Melissa and I enjoying a drink."

"Alright. Stay safe. I..."

"You what?"

"I'll pick you up in ten minutes," he said hastily, before driving out quickly.

He was glad he had managed to cover up the fact that he was about to say 'I love you' to her.

Meanwhile, Ryan went into the little cafe, where Melissa immediately beckoned her over. "No. Freaking. Way."

"What do you mean?"

"You broke up with him! Markus is gone?"

"He's in jail. Someone came and saw him hitting me, and he's been looking after me since then."

"Someone named Hunter Hayes?"

"Shh!" hissed Ryan, noticing a few teenaged girls turning around at the mere mention of his name. "We're not a couple."

"Elle wants you to be."

"Elle? How do you know Elle?"

"Remember the night she went on a sleepover with Drew?"

"Drew... and Shaun. You're dating his older brother. Of course. So she told you?"

"She told me you came home bruised and battered."

"I did. Markus was... especially rough that night. Hunter had dropped me off because it was raining, and before I got out of the car... we..."

She gasped. "No way. You kissed?!"

"Yeah."

She squealed. "Oh my gosh!!"

"Mel!"

"Sorry, sorry, but... did it feel good?"

She sighed. "Oh... it was incredible. But we're not together. I'm just not ready for another relationship."

She nodded. "Yeah, I get that."

"But Hunter and I have talked about it, and he said he wants to wait until I'm ready for a relationship."

"Oh my God, that is the cutest thing I have heard all day."

"He's awfully sweet. Always looking after me as much as he can. A few days ago, we went on a date and... he tried to kiss me again. I stopped him this time. I just couldn't. That was the night Elle stayed at Drew's house."

"Oh..." She took a sip of her hot chocolate. "You're so lucky. No, he's lucky he gets a woman like you. You're so perfect for him. You're shy, quiet, don't talk much, love music... you two were made for each other."

Ryan chuckled. "We'll see about that."

The door tinkled, signalling a new customer, and when Ryan and Melissa looked up, it was Hunter, carrying Elle on his hip. "Hey, Ry," he said, coming over to their table. "So, is this Melissa?"