Chapter Forty

❝time (pronounced tʌɪm or tahym), noun
a point of time as measured in hours and minutes past midnight or noon.❞

The rain was pouring heavily when Ryan woke up. Hunter's arm was draped across her waist, and he was still wearing his Lokai. She smiled slightly, feeling Cole curled up beside them on top of the covers. She hadn't felt so at peace with life in a long time. Not since her brother had gone missing, or since she started dating Markus, or even the night... no, she wouldn't think about that. Not now. Not while she was in such a good mood. Hunter's face was peaceful when he slept, years of pain and worry wiped off his face, making him look far younger than he was. His lips were parted ever so slightly, and his arm tightened around her. He opened his eyes. "Mmm..."

"Hey, sleepyhead," she said with a smile. He looked outside, and a small smile appeared on his face.

"It's raining," he murmured softly.

"Yeah," she said. "I like rain. It's soothing."

"It's nice to think that the world doesn't exist around us. Like we're the only thing left." He reached up and brushed her hair away from her face. "You're beautiful."

She closed her eyes and snuggled into his chest, where they listened to the rain together, quietly enjoying each other's company. The room was just dark enough that they could make out each other's silhouettes, but nothing more. The rain fell softly, as though it knew of the hardships behind and ahead, and as though it wanted them to forget all that, to be with each other. A thousand tiny noises together made a soothing drumming pattern on the window, and she leaned her head on Hunter's chest, listening to the steady beat of his heart. His fingers gently untangled and brushed through her hair, another calming sensation. She felt perfect. She felt wonderful.

"I love you," he murmured gently.

"I love you, too," she said.

He sighed. "Lilly didn't like storms. She hated them, in fact."

"Storms are what reminds us that we're not invulnerable. Besides, it's nice to curl up with a book or some music and watch the rain fall."

"Oh, she liked the rain. Just not thunder." As if on cue, a flash of lightning struck, and thunder rolled through the sky angrily.

"I like it. It's not a bad thing. It's just electricity, you know?"

He kissed the top of her head. "Can I at least pretend that I'm protecting you from the storm?"

She laughed. "Alright. You're such a goofball."

"But it's your favourite thing about me," he said as his arms tightened around her.

"Actually, no. It's in the top five things I love about you, but that's not my favourite one."

She could sense him frowning above her. "Then what is?"

"Your eyes," she said. "If I ever fall for someone, I tend to fall for their eyes. No matter what, it's the one thing that won't change. Looks, and personalities, and voices, those all change. But a person's eyes last longest of them all."

"Are you always so profound?" he asked her teasingly, and she chuckled.

"My family used to tease me about that. Apparently I just come out with really deep stuff when I'm talking on a daily basis. It's a weird thing that I do." She chuckled. "Probably why Philosophy was my best subject in school."