Chapter Forty-Two

❝reveal (pronounced rɪˈviːl or reh-veel), verb
to disclose previously unknown information.❞

Hunter sighed. "This is perfect. Lying down on the couch with the love of my life watching a bad movie."

Ryan chuckled. "Well, at least you admit it's bad."

It had been a week since Elle's recital, and Ryan was beginning to be more trusting of Hunter, not hiding behind her walls anymore. He knew that soon, he would be hearing more about her than he ever thought possible.

"I bet there's something we could do instead that'd be a lot more fun," he murmured, moving closer to her. "We could, for example, start kissing with reckless abandon."

"You're crazy," she laughed quietly.

"Maybe I want crazy."

She groaned. "Living up to the dad role, I see. That was awful."

"Like I care." He chuckled softly, before kissing her. His hands gripped her waist, pulling her closer. He was a little rougher than usual, but gosh, did she love it.

"Papa?"

Hunter immediately pulled away, leaving Ryan breathless. "Yeah?"

"I'm tired."

"Alright, love, I'll tuck you in."

"No," she said, and Hunter raised his eyebrows. "I want Ryan to do it."

"Oh," he said. "I'm a little jealous now."

Ryan laughed. "Alright, love. I'll just be a moment."

"Okay."

Before she stood up, she breathed to Hunter, "Gotta return the favour," before kissing him in the way that she knew drove him insane. She pulled away to find him breathing heavily and grinned.

"Oh, you're evil," he whispered, trying to pull her back.

"Let me go, I gotta put Elle to bed."

He sighed. "Alright. I'm gonna take a shower."

"Do it, you stink."

He laughed. "Thanks, honey."

When she went to Elle's bedroom, Elle had already turned on her blue lava lamp in the corner, filling the room with a luminous blue. She sat on the bed, swinging her legs back and forth. "Hi."

"Hey, honey. Come on, let's tuck you in."

She got under her covers, and Ryan tucked her in, positioning her teddy beside her like a safekeeper. "Do you want me to read to you?" she asked.

"No," said Elle. "Can I ask you something?"

"Of course, darling."

"Do you really love my papa?"

She sighed. "With all my heart. He's been very good to me. I love him a lot."

"And... do you love me?"

"I love you like you're my daughter."