Chapter Eight

❝return (pronounced rɪˈtəːn or ri-turn), verb
to come back to a former position or state❞

"Today's the day, Ellie," said Hunter softly. Elle was lying on his pillow, and still looked a little sickly, but was better now than she was last night. Her fever was gone, at least. She smiled at him, and he smiled back. "Today, after I take you to the doctor's, we're going to the studio together."

She grabbed ahold of Hunter's fingers and began sucking on them. He pulled them away gently, and kissed her forehead. "Don't do that, darling."

"Buh!"

"Buh!" Hunter replied, and she laughed. His smile faded, as he thought about the day ahead.

Am I ready to do this? he thought to himself.

He pulled out the picture of Lilly, the day before she had been attacked, where she was serenely looking out the window. "I'll look after her, Lil," he murmured. "I promise." He touched his necklace, while looking at Elle. "She's gonna be safe."

<><><><><><><><>

Hunter turned up at the studio after the doctor's appointment, who had said Elle was going to be fine, and looked at the seat where she was sleeping. "This is it, Elle," he murmured. "You're gonna meet your uncles today."

"Gah?"

"Yeah, gah," agreed Hunter, getting out of the car and unbuckling her from her seat, before getting out a stroller. It would be a safe place for her to be, and it would make it easier for her to move- plus, Hunter wouldn't need to worry about diaper bags, formula or anything else- it'd all be in the one place. And he could keep her with him at all times. He was still worried about her, she was still slightly ill.

He wheeled the stroller in, with a guitar case on his back. The guys began to cheer, as they saw him coming in, and he didn't need to force a smile onto his face. He had missed them. After giving them all hugs, hi-fives and fistbumps, Elle started making a fuss, so he quickly lifted her up and gave her a kiss. "Hey, Elly-Belly," he murmured. "Meet your uncles. This is Uncle Andy, Uncle Matt, Uncle Devo, Uncle Steve, Uncle Justin and Uncle Dann."

"She's beautiful, Hunter," said Andy, and the guys all mumbled some form of agreement.

"How are you, Hunter?" asked Dann in a fatherly way.

"I miss her," he admitted, "but I'm getting better."

He smiled. "Well, now you can get back to making music. It's all part of grieving, Hunter. Acceptance."

"Yeah," he replied distantly. "Acceptance." He put Elle down, and left his hand inside her stroller for her to play with. "What are we gonna work on today?"

"We were looking at some of your older demos, what do you think?"

"Let's get started," he said.

As they recorded, each of the guys took turns to look after Elle and get to know her. They were very gentle with her, and she loved them. But whenever Hunter looked at her, he only saw the fact that Lilly wasn't there, laughing at their stupid jokes and looking after Elle for him, while Hunter smiled proudly from a corner, while making music and loving it- just like how he used to.

But that would never happen again.

She was gone.

"Guys, I need a minute. Is that okay?"

"Yeah, man. I think Elle's diaper needs changing anyway."

He disappeared into the bathroom, and Hunter gave Elle a small kiss on the forehead. "C'mon, darl, you need to be clean again."