Chapter Seventeen

❝chickenpox (pronounced ˈtʃɪkɪnpɒks or chik-uh n-poks), noun
an infectious disease causing a mild fever and a rash of itchy inflamed pimples which turn to blisters and then loose scabs. It is caused by the herpes zoster virus and mainly affects children.❞

Ryan washed her face while Markus was sleeping. The water was tinted a dark red, and the room smelled like rust and salt- the smell of her own blood. She inspected the bruise on her left cheekbone, and shook her head. She wouldn't be weak. She would never give in. Markus had control of her house and her money, but she would get all of that back. And then, she promised herself, then she would run.

"The kids still need you," she whispered to herself. "You know that. You will get through this."

Then, with newfound strength, she picked up her foundation and began covering up the bruises on her face and arms.

For the kids at school, it was worth it.

<><><><><><><><>

Lilliana May Hayes

09.17.1991 - 10.08.2015

"It's what you do with fear."

~

Adriana Raven Hayes

10.08.2015

Born sleeping. God took his angel back.

He stood at the gravestones, as the wind whistled around him. He felt cold, and somewhat melancholy.

"I still miss you, petal," he breathed. He felt a tear trace down his cheek and wiped it away. He didn't cry about Lilly anymore, but standing at her gravestone, realising that she was lying there, just out of reach... it hurt. It hurt a lot. "But I came here because I needed to tell you something."

He took a deep breath. Usually, when he started crying, he couldn't stop. But today, he forced himself to, and he kept talking. "I... I'm looking for another woman. And I'm dating another one at the moment. Her name is Sarah, and she's nice. But... but there's this other woman. She's beautiful. Her name is Ryan, and she has this blonde hair that smells like strawberries and cream. She ran right into me, and I swear, it was like in the movies, when they stare into each other's eyes and... I don't know. She's an angel. You'd approve of her, definitely. Elle does, anyway, but I mean... I just... No way a girl like that hasn't got a guy that she goes home to and loves. But Sarah should be fine. Sarah would be a good mom. At least... I hope so."

He checked his watch. "Oh. I have to pick Elle up from school. I'll come back soon, darling. I promise. I love you." He walked back to his car, wiped away the rest of his tears, then began the drive to Elle's school.

<><><><><><><><>

Hunter got to the school, and as always, he craned his neck to see if he could see Ryan again. He had been doing that since Wednesday. Then, he shook his head, feeling silly. Ryan was probably accounted for. She was gorgeous. He didn't want to pine after a woman who was way out of his league. Besides, he had his date with Sarah that night. He couldn't afford to mess it up. Sarah was nice too. Sarah had good qualities. Yep. Sarah.

He sighed. He was tired of thinking about his love life. He wanted to sink back into the happiness he had when it was just himself and Elle. He loved Elle. And maybe Lilly wasn't here anymore, but he wasn't quite sure how she would fit into his life now. He had changed too much for that. He could barely remember who he was a mere six years ago.