Chapter Twenty-Four

❝bruise (pronounced bruːz or brooz), noun
an injury appearing as an area of discoloured skin on the body, caused by a blow or impact rupturing underlying blood vessels.❞

"Really?! You thought I wouldn't figure out that you're cheating?!"

"Monica, I'm not cheating! She has a boyfriend."

"Whose name is Hunter Hayes!"

"No, just-" Hunter sighed exasperatedly, running a hand through his hair. They had just gotten back home, and Monica had fumed silently in the car, but now she was fully pissed. "Listen-"

"Stupid bitch doesn't know her place. She's a teacher. Nothing else."

"Don't call her that!" said Elle angrily. "She's beautiful, and she's prettier than you! And she's the nicest person ever!"

"Don't you start, you little- ugh!"

"Monica-"

"Yeah, well Papa had to say sorry because of you! Ryan didn't do anything wrong!"

"Don't you dare give me that shit!"

"Stop cursing!"

"I'll do whatever I want, I'm your new mom now!"

"No, you're not!"

"Elle-" Hunter tried to say, but Monica didn't let him.

"You're a stupid little girl, aren't you? I've seen your report card, you don't even know how to read!"

"Yes I can!"

"Can't do math, can't spell, can't even write- no wonder your dad hates you!"

"Monica, stop! Elle is my daughter-"

"I hate you! You're mean and ugly and evil and my Papa hates you, too!"

Suddenly, Monica slapped Elle across the face so hard that she fell to the floor. Hunter gasped in shock, and Monica didn't say a word of apology.

Hunter went to help her stand, but Elle scrambled onto her feet, crying silently. She blinked tears out of her eyes furiously, before looking at Hunter.

"You pinky promised, Papa," she whispered. "You pinky promised you'd marry someone I like, too."

"Ellie-"

"I hate you! I wish Mama were still alive!" She ran to her room, crying.

Breathing hard, Hunter rounded on Monica. "How dare you lay a hand on her?!"

"She needs to know her place! I'm the new 'mama' in this household, and she'd better know it!"

"Not anymore. Get out. Get out of my house. No money is worth hurting my Elle."

"What?! No, that's not gonna happen again unless she's still stupid and insolent!"

"Get out of my house, Monica. Don't call, don't text. Leave. We're done."