Chapter Thirty-Three

❝encore (pronounced ˈɒŋkɔː or on-kohr), noun
the repeat of a performance, an album, or an experience.❞

Ryan was sitting with Elle in the living room, trying to help her read. Hunter had noticed a substantial difference in her reading and writing skills. Even her maths was getting better. Ryan had been teaching her by teaching her different patterns in the numbers and letters she was reading. And somehow, she made it make sense to Elle- something no teacher had managed to do yet. Hunter sat in the corner, working on his laptop. He was working out a new melody using Garage Band, and was deeply immersed in his work.

There was a knock on the door, and Ryan said, "Hunt, someone's here."

"Alright, I'll get it," he said, putting his laptop down. Walking to the front door, he opened it quickly. "Ma?"

"Hey, Hunter!" she said, coming inside. "I just thought I haven't seen you in a while."

"It's nice to see you!" he said, hugging her. "Come in, have a coffee or something."

"I haven't seen you so happy in a while," she commented.

"Grandmama!" said Elle, jumping up from her spot beside Ryan and hugging Lynette. She laughed.

"Oh, my darling, I've missed you! You're always so busy that I just never get the time to talk," she said, and Elle nodded earnestly.

"Did you bring gumbo?" she asked, and Hunter laughed.

"Ellie!"

"No, don't worry, I didn't bring gumbo, but I made jambalaya!"

"Yay!"

Lynette looked up and was awestruck for a moment. "Ryan?"

"Hi, Mrs Hayes."

"What're you doing here?" She looked at Hunter suspiciously. "What haven't you told me, young man?"

"Ma, relax," said Hunter soothingly. "Ry, why don't you go with Elle and keep teaching her?"

"Yeah, sure. Nice seeing you, ma'am."

"Nice seeing you too," she said. Ryan lifted Elle up, and carried her over to the guest bedroom. Lynette looked at Hunter. "Explain, please?"

"Ma, calm down. Ry is just-"

"Ry?!"

"Ma!"

"Why didn't you tell me the two of you were dating?!"

"We're not!"

"Then explain why Ryan Lockhart is apparently in your home-"

"Teaching Elle how to read?"

Lynette stopped for a moment. "Right. Okay. So, she's on long service leave. Do you know why?"

"Of course. Sit down. I'll tell you everything, okay? But first, I need to ask Ryan something."

She sighed. "Alright. I'm sorry, honey."

"It's alright," he said. "Wait here a moment."

He went to the guest bedroom. "Ry?"

She looked up, and Elle did too. "Yeah?"

"I should tell her why you're here."

Ryan froze for a moment. "You mean..."

"Yeah. But only if you don't mind."

She hesitated, and Hunter said, "It's your call, love."

Finally, she nodded. "Okay. Tell her."