Chapter Forty-Nine

❝prove (pronounced pruːv or proov), verb
demonstrate the truth by presenting compelling evidence.❞

Hunter woke up in the middle of the night. He felt warm, but he couldn't possibly feel happy, or even moderately comfortable.

Oh, Ellie.

Ryan was lying on Hunter's chest, breathing softly. His neck felt damp where she was lying. He deduced that since she didn't drool in the middle of the night, he had fallen asleep without realising that she was crying. He felt awful. He couldn't help anyone, could he? Choose to stay with Elle, he'd be worried sick about Ryan. Stay with Ryan, he'd be worried sick about Elle, and he wouldn't do Ryan any good.

He stroked Ryan's hair, whispering words of soft comfort and kissing her forehead, even though he knew she couldn't hear him. He was too late- he always was. She could be all he had left, soon. If Elle couldn't fight it...

This was his destiny, wasn't it? This was his fate. If he ever put all his love and joy into someone, he would lose that someone. He loved Lilly, and loved Adriana. Both were gone. Elle was likely not going to make it, given his luck. And... did that mean Ryan was next? Would he manage to get her pregnant, but then she'd die?

He thought about what she had said earlier. "I know... I know it's selfish. But I can't lose you. You're all I have."

Selfish, he thought. Is it really selfish to not want to lose someone?

If that were the case, he was the most selfish person he knew.

<><><><><><><><>

Ryan woke up first at around seven thirty. She was feeling comfortably warm, lying on Hunter's chest, and actually felt somewhat content until she remembered their situation. She shook Hunter awake. "Hunt, it's time to get up."

His eyes opened pretty quickly- he probably hadn't had a very restful sleep. He sighed slightly, giving her a sad smile. "I was kinda hoping yesterday was all a bad dream."

She looked down. "I guess it wasn't, huh?"

He shook his head, and they listened quietly to the birds singing outside their window. "Alright," Hunter said. "If you're willing, you can pack all of Ellie's things in an overnight bag and we'll take that to her. I'll wash, shave, get myself dressed, and I'll pick up some breakfast. I think there's a Burger King near here."

"Okay."

He smiled slightly and kissed her forehead. "Thank you, darling."

"For?"

"Being here. You're my rock at the moment. Thank you."

She gave him a weak smile, then stood up and went to the bathroom to wash her face. The place wasn't very well kept- of course, there probably wasn't much funding. Ryan decided that she'd start donating more money, should they ever have enough money again. Hospitals weren't cheap, and the treatment Elle might need would be even worse.

She started packing Elle's things into a bag; her ukulele, the Harry Potter books Hunter had gotten her, some toys, a bookmark with a tassel (which wasn't in the book for some reason), a tiny hairbrush (presumably to brush her dolls' hair) and a notepad with her pencilcase for her to draw with. She also packed a few clothes, jackets, and shoes, while Hunter opened the door. "Hey, I got us some breakfast."