Chapter Forty-Six

❝disclose (pronounced dɪsˈkləʊz or dih-sklohz), verb
to let on previously secret information.❞

"Hey, Ry?"

"Yes?" she said sweetly.

"Are you feeling a little better, now that you got to see your family?"

She smiled, and kissed him softly. "Tonnes."

They were getting ready for bed. Elle was insisting that since she was a big girl, that she wanted her own room. Nonetheless, Hunter made sure she knew the way to Hunter's and Ryan's room in case she felt sick again.

Ryan was brushing her hair, and Hunter changed into his pyjamas. He was tired from the day's events, excited that he would get to propose to Ryan, nervous about what she might say, and trying desperately hard to figure out how he'd convince her to talk to her parents.

"Are you alright? You've been kinda jumpy all night."

"Jumpy? Me? Nah," said Hunter.

She raised an eyebrow, and Hunter chuckled, hugging her. "I just felt nervous. I mean, meeting your family for the first time..."

She smiled. "Did you like them? My father can be scary, can't he?"

"A little, but even so, he's a good man. Elle liked him immediately, so I trust him."

"My mom's a sweetheart. She even remembered that I love eggnog."

"I think she liked me."

"You think? She was practically discussing our future children."

He smiled, but then said with more seriousness, "Speaking of our future children..."

"You can't be serious," she said, her smile fading. "We've been together for four months, Hunter."

"I know, I know, but... I can't imagine my life without you anymore."

She sighed. "Oh, Hunt, I don't know. What if we're moving too quickly?"

"You... you think we're moving too fast?"

"I... guess. Maybe. Yeah. Like, don't get me wrong, I love you, but-"

"But we're moving too fast for you," Hunter said quietly. "Ry..."

"Don't apologise," she said quickly. "I know. I've been okay with it thus far, and that's because you're so sweet and gentle and you never try and do anything to force me into wanting what you do, but maybe it's just starting to register or something. I dunno. I'm sorry that I didn't tell you."

He began kissing her neck gently, and she tilted her head to allow him access. "Why didn't you tell me?" he whispered into the hollow of her neck. She shuddered slightly, and Hunter kissed back up, reaching the corner of her lips. "I mean, would I have gotten angry?"

"N-No..."

"Then?" he whispered, pressing tiny kisses along her jawline. "Talk to me."

He could feel her heart racing- maybe that was his aim, he wasn't sure. Her breathing wasn't quite steady either. "H-Hunt I-I don't th-think-"

"You know what I think?"

"N-No, I guess not."

"I think- no, I know- that I'm in love with you."

"I love you, too, bu- o-oh..." she whimpered as he nibbled on her earlobe, making her lose her train of thought. She tried to regain control and push him away. "Hunt, s-stop. Stop. We're at my parents' house, we can't do this."