Chapter Forty-Four

❝problem (pronounced ˈprɒbləm or prob-luh m), noun
a situation which causes stress or anxiety.❞

Hunter woke up sweating. It was the bad dream again, where Ryan was dying in childbirth. He hadn't seen Lilly in his dreams for a long time, but Ryan was now a constant.

But something was wrong.

Where is she? he thought suddenly, looking at the space beside him. The place where Ryan usually lay to sleep... was empty.

He jumped up in horror and sprinted out the bedroom door, before accidentally crashing into something which let out a cry, and falling to the floor with them. "Ry!"

"Hunter, honestly? Was running through the the house necessary?" she muttered. Hunter was lying on top of her, and quickly stood up when he realised this fact.

"Sorry. Where were you?"

"I have a migraine. I thought I'd drink some ibuprofen."

He frowned, brushing her hair away from her face- which somehow made her feel better. "You okay?"

Ryan narrowed her eyes. "Your eyes aren't focused."

"What?"

"Your eyes aren't focused. You're covered in sweat, too. And you're shivering. Have you got a fever, bluejay?"

"N-No, 'course not."

"Hunt?"

"Just- just the dream again."

"The dream?"

"I guess I should say nightmare, it's just the nightmare."

"About where I'm in Lilly's place."

"Ry, you scared me. You disappeared after that dream. I panicked and started looking for you."

"Let's go back to bed."

They did so, and Ryan said, "You haven't had that dream for a while."

He shrugged. "Maybe I'm just paranoid, thinking I'm going to lose you. I don't know." He hugged her suddenly, and she just closed her eyes. "I can't lose you."

"I know. I can't lose you either."

He smiled slightly, and kissed her. "Did you know that a common headache cure is sex?"

She laughed. "Sure it is."

"Nope, it's been scientifically proven and everything. What do you say?"

Shaking her head, she said, "I'm tired. Plus, Elle has been coming to sleep here practically every night for the past week. It'd be insanely awkward if she were to walk in."

Hunter sighed. "Point taken." He kissed her again. "I love you."

"I love you more."

"Is that some sort of challenge?" he asked, and she laughed again. She had a beautiful laugh. Her makeup was gone, and he could see her freckles. They made her look beautiful, he didn't understand why she always covered them up. He couldn't resist. He kissed her again, rolling so that she was pinned to the bed. His hands were on her waist, and hers went up to his soft hair, messing it up in the way only she knew how. She had this way of kissing him that drove him insane, and he loved it. "You're so beautiful."

She smiled. "You're very sweet."

"I mean it," he said. "You're so beautiful, and perfect, and I love you so much. I can't live without you. I can't, I love you. You have such beautiful eyes..." He nuzzled his nose against hers, and she sighed in pleasure. "I love you. I love you so much. Damn me if I can ever keep my eyes off you." He kissed her again, his hand coming up to tuck her hair behind her ear.