Chapter Forty-One

❝swan (pronounced swɒn or swon), noun
a large, graceful waterbird. Generally used as the bird of love.❞

Ryan tried to ignore the many people staring at herself and Hunter, especially the ones with cameras. There were a few who were very subtle, peeking out of the corners of their eyes, and others who gaped openly. Wow, Hunter Hayes and his new girlfriend! Is she covered in Botox, is that why she looks so young? Or is Hunter actually dating a younger woman? Details, details, this'll still be in the papers tomorrow!

"Smile, darling, or they'll theorise that you're actually my secret sister," he breathed softly into her ear. She laughed quietly, and leaned up to kiss his cheek. The sudden CLICK, CLICK, CLICK, of cameras was heard, and Hunter waved at them all.

They were waiting to be seated, and many mothers and fathers were waiting with younger or older children. Hunter and Ryan stood as far away as they could to avoid attention, though it wasn't working too well. There were a few paparazzi, and Hunter ignored them to the best of his ability. He kept a tight arm around Ryan's waist.

She was worrying about what they'd talk about that night. She didn't want to have to relive the whole ordeal of being with Markus, and she didn't want to tell him about the texts. But he wouldn't let her just sit there and do nothing, especially since he would never want her to be scared, or hurt.

But she didn't want to tell him why she couldn't deal with having sex, or being naked in front of him. She didn't want to think about it anymore.

So she gave the cameras a fake smile, and stood with Hunter, hoping they would get bored and leave eventually.

Soon, they were being seated, and Hunter had gotten them some good seats up the front. "Oh, I can't wait to see her," he said excitedly.

She chuckled slightly, and he noticed that she wasn't quite right. "Hey, you okay?"

"Yeah. Just tired."

He took her hand and rubbed warmth into it. "I'm sorry about what happened in the car."

She nodded. "It's alright."

"It's not. You've been off since we've gotten here. Darling, I care about you. Talk to me. Please, I promise, it'll work out."

"I don't know. I'm tired. That's all. I might sleep in the car when we're going home or-"

"You're trying to avoid our conversation tonight already?" he asked.

"N-No-"

"I won't press you too hard. I just want you to tell me enough. Okay?"

She didn't answer him and just quietly looked down. He hated seeing her that way. "My dove, please."

When she remained silent, he just kissed her temple and whispered, "I love you. Don't forget that." She still said nothing, and he sighed, pulling away as the curtains opened and the lights dimmed.

The first act came on, and Hunter had never had any interest in dance, but he found himself entranced. The costumes and the grace of the dancers onstage was incredible. Ryan's eyes were sparkling as she watched the dancers onstage, none of them older than ten years old. "They're all quite beautiful, aren't they?" she said softly.

"They're amazing," he said. "They're so talented. All of them."

They watched that first act for a while, until four girls came onstage and linked hands as the music began. "Hunt, that's Elle! On the end, there!"

"Wait... that's her?"

"That's her," she confirmed.

"Woah..." he murmured. "She looks so... beautiful."