chapter four

━━☽⋆° ✧⋆°━━

┏━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━┓
chapter four;
the ballista's design
and the musical
rivalry.
┗━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━┛

❝ the world remains constant over the centuries

❝ the world remains constant over the centuries. but human life is like the dew at dawn or a bubble rising through water. transitory. ❞

━━☽⋆° ✧⋆°━━

It was hilarious whenever Cloud Retainer and Guizhong had a competition on which of their inventions were better. Y/N always found themselves holding their stomach, unable to breath as the two traded joking insults at one another.

It always ended in Rex trying to break it apart and make an impartial decision for them, as neither of them trusted Y/N's judgement when it came to mechanical inventions (which was fair) and as Cloud Retainer once said, "If Y/N were ever to invent something without help, one would think the world was ending."

Y/N, while taking offence to that statement, couldn't deny the truth of that fact. They were horrible at creating or engineering mechanical-type things.

It didn't mean they didn't like watching the two play around with their inventions. Y/N often sat with Guizhong or Cloud Retainer whilst they were creating things, and the h/c haired Adeptus was always so curious and was often seen asking questions, to which both the Goddess and the blue-haired Adeptus happily indulged, answering any question Y/N threw at them.

Y/N... was just happy to be in the presence of their two friends. They knew what was going to come sooner or later, the death of Guizhong, the departing of Streetward Rambler, who took on the name of Madame Ping... Rex finally realising that he couldn't be the brutish brawn he was. Seeing things that would never have been told in canon - the pranks that Guizhong liked to pull on Mountain Shaper and Mooncarver. The way she was always speaking to humans, getting to know them on a personal level.

The way Cloud Retainer, no matter how much they argued, looked at her with a soft gaze of a friend who loved her. The way Streetward Rambler would often go to Guizhong to ask for advice of a song (even though they considered each other rivals in music... Guizhong liked to make a lot of friendly rivals, for some reason) and the way Rex would seek the Goddess out if he was having a problem with his people, or to help with a plan for battle.

Little things like this really were what drew Y/N in to them, making them realise that they didn't just care for them because they were characters from their favourite video game, but rather, as people. Y/N cared for them as individuals that had helped them when they had been stuck in a world, whilst not unknown, was different to what they were used to.