7. Missing her

SPENCER
I would be lying to myself if I said that I didn't miss Y/N. I missed her a lot. I knew that she had been accepted into the FBI Academy Training Program, and I was very happy for her, but that meant that she wouldn't be attending my lectures anymore. Instead of watching as she raised her hand, answering any question with ease, I'd hand over the required learning and other materials that she needed to Anderson, who then passed them along to her.

The only times I really got to see her was when she was walking to and from classes, or when she was out in the field, going through obstacle courses and combat training. I knew that soon enough, she'd be starting to learn about firearms and gun training, so I looked forward to seeing her then, considering the shooting range was one floor below, practically below Garcia's office.

None of this would be a problem for any normal person, but the difference between me and someone else is that Y/N had impacted me in such a way that it was difficult to describe. To me, seeing Y/N would be like re-reading my favourite facts from my favourite books over and over again. It didn't help that every time I wasn't focused on a case or on paperwork, I was thinking about Y/N. What she was doing, who she was talking to, what she was wearing. It might have been slightly inappropriate to think about what she was wearing, but I couldn't help it. She looked pretty in everything that she wore. I guaranteed that even while wearing the bland FBI Training uniform, she'd look good, and I was right.

Every so often, I'd look out the window in the conference room and see groups of cadets running around the open field to the left of the main building. They were either fighting each other for combat training, or building up their stamina.

One thing that had become a weekly occurrence was letters. I was fully aware of the rule against personal devices. It was obvious because the FBI itself could be put at risk if any of it's cadets decided to leak very sensitive information held within the walls of the Bureau. So, when I received the weekly assignment from Y/N, I was surprised to find a letter inside.

Dear Spencer,

Hi. It's Y/N. The FBI has strict rules against using personal devices - totally understandable - and I figured, since I can't text or call you, why not just send you a letter? I mean, who's really willing to "leak" sensitive FBI information through letters? I don't think anyone would have the time or willpower to actually write out every single detail of the FBI's most sensitive information.

Anyway, I just wanted to let you know that the program is going well. I've still got a long way to go, but all of my instructors say that I'm excelling in my work. I think my favourite part so far is the behavioural Science class. It reminds me so much of your lectures, and honestly, I wish that you were teaching the class. There is something about the instructor that puts everyone to sleep.

I miss your lectures, I really do, and I'm glad that while I am training to become an FBI Agent, I still get to work with you through your lectures. The notes that you write for me about each lecture are really fascinating and it makes me miss you and your lectures even more.

I'm hoping that when I get permission to call someone from the outside world, I'll be able to call my friend Alyssa, but I've put her number at the end of this letter. If it's not too much to ask, can you please just send her a message once a week, maybe after you receive my letter? I need her to know that I'm okay and that I miss her. Once again, if you don't feel comfortable messaging my friend, that's fine! I don't want you to do something you're not comfortable doing.

I'm looking forward to your next round of notes from your next lecture. Enjoy your work and good luck with whatever case you get next.

P.S. Here's Alyssa's number. (***)***-****

-Y/N.

I put the letter on my desk and smiled. I couldn't believe that Y/N had really put the time and effort into writing me a letter. I was so pleased to know that she was enjoying the program and I was even more pleased to hear that she missed me and my lectures. It was nice to know that she missed me and my lectures as much as I missed seeing her in my class.

What I didn't expect her to do was ask me to message her friend. While I knew that all she wanted to do was make sure her friend knew she was okay, I felt a bit odd messaging someone I didn't know. I imagine it would be weird to receive a message from someone I didn't know. But, to help Y/N get some peace of mind, I looked at and unintentionally memorised Alyssa's number before placing the letter neatly in my desk so my friends wouldn't 1. know about it and 2. find it.

I put Alyssa's number into my phone and drafted a text, re-reading it at least 3 times over before sending it.

Me: Hi, Alyssa. My name is Spencer and I'm a friend of Y/N's from the FBI Academy. She's been in the program for 2 weeks now and because she's not allowed any personal devices, she's asked me to message you once a week so that you can be kept in the loop about how she's doing.

Alyssa: Hi, Spencer. Thank you so much! I was so worried about her when I tried to call her and she didn't pick up. Now that I know why, I'd be happy to receive messages from you once a week.

Me: No worries. I will be receiving weekly letters, so once I've read the letters, I'll send you a message.

Knowing that Alyssa was happy to receive messages from me, I put my phone down, having exited the messages with Alyssa so that Morgan wouldn't see. All I had to do was prevent my friends from finding out about the messages, so that they wouldn't get Garcia to hack into my phone and find the messages to and from both Alyssa and Y/N.