37. First day back

Y/N
A month is a really long time - well, if you've been in bed for a 22 hours a day. Yes. For an entire month, you spent 22 hours in bed, the other 2 hours being spent either on the couch or on the toilet.

You had never been more glad to return to work. You were a good 95 percent healed. You were healed enough to return to work, but not healed enough to actually be out on the field. To clarify, by out on the field, you meant being active on the field. You were allowed to fly with the team, but your active duties were restricted to the police stations and victim's family and friends interviews. You weren't allowed to actually hunt the unsubs or kick down doors - although, that job was mainly left to Derek, who loved to look badass before and during arresting unsubs.

But, before all of that, you had a more pressing task to get done. Your Profiler Exam. Yes, that was today. Your first day back wouldn't involve flying to a new location with the team, rather staying back at the office to take the exam that you had spent a month studying for, with the help of your amazing boyfriend and fellow profiler.

You couldn't sleep. For 24 hours, all you could think about was passing the exam. If and when you passed the exam, you'd become an official profiler.

———

By 7 AM, you and Spencer were out the door and heading to work.

"I need you to know, that I'm proud of you. I'm proud of you if you pass and I'm proud of you if you don't. You've studied more for this exam than anyone has ever studied for any exam. I'll be thinking about you all day. I'll be waiting for you in the bullpen if we're not on a case, but if we're on a case, I'll be waiting for your call." Spencer exhaled as you both walked into the building, showing your ID to the receptionist.

The exam itself was being held in a conference room on the 2nd floor of the main building, so you wouldn't see Spencer for the whole day. The exam was due to start at 7:20 and would last for 3 hours. It was currently 7:10, so you kissed Spencer goodbye and walked your separate ways. Before long, you were sitting down at a table with a pencil and a upside-down test in front of you. The room was windowless, with nothing but tables and chairs inside. You placed your bag with all of your belongings into a locker.

You and at least 20 other people sat down and when given permission, you began. The test started out hard, but eventually, the subjects you studied were flowing through your brain.

The first hour was the hardest. It focused on the 3 types of victims, and you had to give 3 detailed examples of each type. You had only spent 2 days studying this with Spencer, but you got through it and you exhaled quietly, happy that the hardest part was done.

The second hour was okay. It focused on the types of offenders that an Agent might encounter. You had to identify 3 types of offenders, - you chose copycats, vigilantes and abductors - and give a brief description of those offenders.

The third hour was possibly the easiest. All you had to do was choose a famous criminal and profile them. You had to describe what type of offender they were, what their M.O. was, as well as identify and explain parts of their life that led them to their crimes. You chose Dennis Rader, AKA the BTK killer.

By the time 10:20 arrived, you had just finished your exam, your name was perfectly written at the top and your pencil was down. Your heart rate was finally starting to calm down and you could feel your breathing starting to go back to normal. That exam had worried you more than any other test or exam that you've ever taken.

You exited the conference room with your bag and "calmly" made your way up to the BAU office, the adrenaline from having completed the exam still high. As you exited the elevator, you saw that none of the team were in the bullpen, so you assumed - and were correct in assuming - that the team were away on a case. You stopped just outside the big glass doors and pulled out your phone, texting Spencer.

You: The exam is over. I think I did well. All I have to do now is wait.

Spencer: Remember what I said before. I am proud of you whether or not you pass. Love you.

You: Love you too.

You put your phone away and eyed the door at the end of the hallway to your left. Penelope. The thought of seeing your friend after such a nervous 3 hours made you smile. You swiped your I.D. and entered the first door that led to Penelope's office. Once you stood at the doorway, watching Penelope chat with Hotch and JJ over the phone, you knew that she could sense you.

"Y/N, just came back!" Penelope cheered.

"As much as I'd like to fill you all in, you're on a case and cases are never easy, so I'll let you go." You smiled, watching as Penelope hung up the phone. For the next 20 minutes, you debriefed the exam to Penelope, who was more than happy to listen over looking at the horrifying images on her screens.