49. Calm before the storm

As promised, Y/N and Spencer stood inside the sanitarium, patiently waiting for Diana to be released from the cafeteria after breakfast.

The moment she laid eyes on her son and Y/N, she was instantly happy. A smile appeared on her face and she quickly rushed to wrap her arms around Spencer, placing a kiss on his cheek, before she pulled away and wrapped her arms around Y/N, placing a kiss on her cheek as well.

"How did you sleep, Diana?" Y/N asked as Diana led her and Spencer out to the courtyard where she usually read her books.

"Oh, I slept wonderfully. The thought of seeing you two again helped me rest easy and peacefully." She admitted as she lifted her favourite book from the table that rested near the fountain.

"'How To Be A Medieval Woman' by Margery Kempe. An excellent choice, Diana." Y/N smiled, sitting down next to her.

"Can you read it to us?" Spencer asked, sitting on the other side of his mother, who nodded.

"Of course, Spencer. That's the best way, isn't it?" Diana looked at her son, who smiled and nodded, chuckling.

"Yes, ma'am. By far." Spencer exhaled, watching as his mother opened up the book, her eyes settling on the first page.

Spencer was sure that his mother had read this particular book a couple dozen times, yet every time she opened the book and started reading, a smile formed on her face as if she was reading the book for first time all over again.

He glanced over to Y/N, who was intently listening to the words being spoken by Diana. She used to read to him all the time when he was young, and now Y/N was experiencing Diana's same love for books as he used to experience.

The day went on. Diana, Spencer and Y/N got halfway through the book before it was time for morning tea, which both Y/N and Spencer were happy to join her for.

After morning tea was finished, the trio spent a few hours playing cards. Both Diana and Y/N knew that Spencer could easily win any card game that was suggested, but Spencer promised that he'd purposefully throw off his skills so that either Y/N or Diana had a chance to win.

Once Y/N and Diana got sick of Spencer unintentionally winning their card games, they got permission from Diana's doctor to let her go on a field trip. Luckily, the park was right across the road from the sanitarium, so there wouldn't be much issue getting her back when it was time for dinner.

———
(Sunday)

By 3:45 PM, Spencer and Y/N were sitting in their hotel room, eating some take-away Chinese food that they had picked up only 20 minutes earlier. They had a 7:50 flight, which left them with some time before they were needed at the airport.

"I really enjoyed yesterday." Y/N spoke after swallowing her food. She put down her chopsticks and turned to Spencer, who smiled.

"You did? Really?" He seemed really happy.

"Of course I did. Your mom is just as kind and lovely as you are. I could clearly see where you get your smarts and your love of literature from." Y/N chuckled, laying her head on his shoulder.

"She's a gem. I love her. I feel bad not coming as often as I should." Spencer exhaled.

"Spencer, you write to your mother every day. You tell her all about your adventures, you tell her all about me. You shouldn't feel bad for not visiting her. It doesn't help that you travel a lot for work." Y/N held his hand.

"Y/N...you're too understanding." Spencer sighed.

"Your mom understands your life. I'm sure she understands your job and the adventures you go on. I mean, she reads all about them in your letters." Y/N smiled.

———
(Monday)

By 1 AM, Y/N and Spencer were in their apartment, both of them very tired and ready to sleep. They chucked their bags onto their couch and undressed, not caring in the slightest that they were both in their underwear. The moment they got under the covers, they both instantly felt comfortable enough to sleep (right after Y/N set her alarm for 10 AM).

At 10 AM, Y/N shut off her alarm and got out of bed, not wanting to wake Spencer up. She made breakfast and began her decent into madness as she opened her textbook and started studying again. In 24 hours, she'd be taking her first exam.