28. One enemy gone

Y/N
Cases went on as normal. In the time since the second letter was sent and the team became involved, 3 cases had been solved, 3 unsubs had been identified and apprehended, 7 innocent people had been murdered and 4 innocent people had been saved.

At first, you believed that maybe the unsub threatening you had backed off. Maybe they had taken a break would eventually come back.

You were wrong. 2 hours after landing back in Quantico, Anderson handed you a letter. The handwriting was instantly recognised, so you knew that the unsub had another message for you.

You gathered the team in the conference room and let them know what was going on.

"Have you opened it yet?" Prentiss asked.

"No. Anderson handed it to me less than 2 minutes ago." You exhaled.

"Well, open it. Let's hear what this ass-hat has to say next." Derek rolled his eyes.

"I don't think it's wise to openly insult the unsub when they have made it very clear that they are watching us." JJ shook her head.

"Go ahead, Y/N." Hotch ignored the comments coming from Derek and JJ.

"2 letters in and you have no idea who I am? How stupid can you be? You're a profiler for god's sake! Oh wait. You're not a profiler - at least, not yet. Well, I stick by my first comment. You're surrounded by profilers." You started, exhaling. The faster you talked, the faster the letter would end.

"You know who I am. Deep down, you know exactly who this handwriting belongs to. You're just blocking the memories that would tell you exactly who I am. No matter. Since you and your "expert profiler" friends can't seem to figure out who I am, I'm willing to help you." Your eyes widened. Was the unsub really going to help you and the team to their capture?

"This has to be a trick! There's no way in hell that an unsub would actually help." Penelope gasped.

"Remember the apartment that you spent every summer in when you were a child? A clue as to who I am is tucked somewhere in that small apartment. You find that clue, you will be 1 step closer to finding me." You read, finishing the letter.

"You remember the apartment?" Derek asked.

"Not at all. But luckily, the unsub was willing to jog my memory." You smiled, holding up a ripped piece of paper that held the address.

———
(At The Address)

Within 20 minutes, Y/N and the team were waiting outside the apartment in bullet-proof vests. They held up their guns and patiently waited.

"FBI!" You shouted as Derek forcefully knocked the door down after being given permission by Hotch.

"Federal Agents!" Prentiss yelled.

The apartment itself was empty. No furniture, nothing. There wasn't even a kitchen. This apartment had no sign of life. It was like it was just built.

"Uh, guys..." Derek's voice sounded inside the small apartment. He had opened the door that led to the bedroom. The moment you and the rest of the team got close, your heart dropped.

Resting on the only piece of furniture in the whole apartment was a body. Without hesitation, Rossi checked for a pulse, shaking his head after a few moments.

"Holy shit. It's Agent Jackson." You gasped, instantly recognising his face.

"Why the hell would the unsub kill Jackson? He's not part of the team. He wasn't even a friend." Spencer scoffed.

"The unsub is sending a message. A friend or not, anyone is a target." You felt sick.

On one hand, you were glad. Agent Jackson had been nothing but trouble the moment you met him. He was willing to do anything to get rid of you and ruin your career. You were sort of glad that you'd never have to worry about him again.

But, on the other hand, you were sad. Because of you, someone had died. Nice or not, Jackson was a person. He was a son, a friend, a cousin, a nephew. He had family. He may not have been nice to you, but there were probably others who liked him.

Crime scene techs and even the M.E. showed up at the crime scene, examining the body. You watched from a far corner, watching as the M.E. inspected Jackson's body.

You left the apartment, standing only 7 feet away from the front door. You needed a moment alone, but Hotch and Spencer followed you, concerned.

"Y/N, what's wrong? Are you okay?" Spencer asked, his hands gently holding yours.

"I thought I could do this. I thought I could work this case, but I can't. Sure, I'm the only person who can really do anything to stop this unsub, but I can't remember anything from my past. Whether or not I purposefully blocked memories in my brain, I don't know. But, what I do know is that someone is dead because of me. Because of something I did in the past, someone is dead." You rambled, getting all of your emotions out.

Without warning, Derek walked out of the apartment.

"Okay. The M.E. puts Agent Jackson's death around 24 hours ago. But, the body does show signs of ligature marks around the wrists, ankles and even around the neck. But that's not the only thing. You three might want to come see this." Derek informed you, Spencer and Hotch.

Soon enough, you and the rest of the team were standing around Agent Jackson's dead body, the M.E.'s hand ready.

"So, I was doing the standard inspection of the body, and apart from the very obvious ligature marks, I noticed something else that that unknown subject left behind." The M.E. explained, gently opening Agent Jackson's mouth.

"I haven't touched this at all." The M.E. reassured the team as they used their gloved up hand to pull a plastic bag out of Agent Jackson's mouth.

"Is that...a USB?" JJ asked, very confused.

"Time for Garcia's help." Rossi exhaled.

———
(At The BAU Office, Penelope's Lair)

Soon enough, the team was standing within the walls of the FBI. They had rushed to Penelope's lair and handed her the USB, which she instantly connected to the computer.

"And...voila!" Penelope nodded as she put the video up on the screen.

The moment she pressed play, every single person in the room was instantly met with the image of a woman. She was in nothing but a tank-top and shorts. Her hair was extremely messy and it looked like she had been kicked around in dirt for hours. Her lip was split and she had bruises covering a majority of the skin that was visible.

"Who is that?" Prentiss asked. Spencer glanced at you.

Your eyes were glued to the screen. You wanted to look away, no you needed to look away, but you couldn't. On the main computer screen was a video showing your best friend Alyssa as she was beaten by the unsub, who was masked and completely covered in black items of clothing, making their identity impossible to figure out.

This was the clearest message the unsub had given to you and the team. Anyone that you had ever known would be a target. First Agent Jackson was killed and now Alyssa had been kidnapped.

"A- Alyssa." You croaked, unable to find the words.