13. Honesty

Y/N
You had experienced a lot of pressure in your life. But, as of this week, you had felt all of the pressure just hit you like a bus.

After spending 3 weeks with the BAU, you weren't ready to return to the training building, as it meant that you'd be forced to see Cadet Jackson again. He had threatened you and you didn't want to see him, understandably. You also had an FBI Agent on your side who was willing to teach Cadet Jackson a lesson if needed.

It was at that point that you wished you and Spencer were dating, but then you remembered that your life was currently too complicated.

12 weeks. That's all you had left until you'd become an official FBI Agent. You had called Alyssa on one of your cases with the BAU, and let her know that you were okay.

Your days during training had been normal. Obstacle courses, classes and shooting ranges. You'd have breaks in between and by nightfall, you'd be studying for your college classes.

Something that made your college career more interesting was the fact that you'd be graduating from the FBI Academy Training Program way before you actually graduated from college, meaning you'd be an actual FBI Agent when you graduated from college and got your BA in philosophy.

One thing you had noticed half way through your 8th week in the program was the increase of division and unit chiefs who'd come by and watch. You'd often see that at least 2 or 3 different unit chiefs with a class at a time. This freaked you out a little bit - for a few reasons:

1. You had your heart set on joining the BAU - not only because of Spencer - but because of the way they identify and apprehended criminals.

2. You were worried that the director of the FBI and the Brass would consider you better suited to other divisions that weren't the BAU.

3. Cadet Jackson had made it his mission to make you feel miserable. He'd comment on every little thing you did wrong and constantly doubted your judgment in order to turn the instructors and other students against you.

The 3rd reason was the most frustrating. Everything you had worked so hard for was going to be ruined by one jerk, but you insisted on preventing him from getting to you. You ignored him. You warned the instructors that he had been harassing you and instead of focusing on Cadet Jackson's actions, you focused on doing your best as to impress any and all division and unit chiefs.

Whenever you weren't in private - e.g. the bathroom or the bedroom - you did everything with as much energy, effort and attention that you could give. If you were at an obstacle course, you'd push yourself to get it done as efficiently and safely as possible. If you were at the shooting range, you'd make a point of staying calm and taking everything with caution.

You had even started talking with different division and unit chiefs. You'd be called over by the instructor to talk to them, before returning to your task. As much as you liked that different divisions and units were interested in adding you to their team, it meant that your chances of joining the BAU were slipping away. It didn't help that you saw Agent Strauss talking to Cadet Jackson as you returned from your 5th chat of the day.

One thing you had picked up on was Agent Strauss' tendency to put her hands behind her back and nod profusely. You knew that was her sign of boredom, and to see her do those exact things when talking to Cadet Jackson, you almost laughed, but knew you'd get in trouble.

———
(7 Weeks Later)

7 weeks was a long time. In that time, you had done a few things. You had aced every obstacle course and every trial that had been thrown your way. You had gone through and passed every test in your firearms training, which meant you had authority to carry and use a gun (most commonly a pistol).

But, because 7 weeks had passed, this meant that you were 5 weeks away from graduating. It freaked you out a little, but you weren't worried.

With only 5 weeks left of the program, you were going to face the Brass and the director. Not only had all the different divisions and units put in their choices for the cadets they wanted, but the cadets also got to express their choice - although the chances of a cadet actually being placed where they wanted was very slim.

You knew where you wanted to be placed. You knew where your friends wanted to be placed. You even contacted Alyssa and she knew where you should be placed. You also knew that a certain cadet also wanted the same placement as you, and it quickly turned your excitement into sadness. It was very much possible that either you or Cadet Jackson would be chosen for a spot within the BAU, but it was just as possible for both you and Cadet Jackson to be chosen for the BAU. That was the worst possible outcome.

Over the 15th week, each and every cadet had been interviewed. You'd often hear them discussing their interviews and talking about why they chose a specific division or unit.

As expected, Cadet Jackson made a huge deal about it, basically bragging to everyone about how he was guaranteed to be the only cadet who'd be accepted into the BAU.

Then, it was your turn. You entered the small interview room, sitting calmly in front of the Brass and the director.

You watched as they all read over your files and deliberated, making sure not to speak into the 3 microphones that were in front of them.

"Cadet Y/L/N. After you graduate and become an offical FBI Agent, which division or unit would you like to be placed with?" The director asked, leaning forward.

"I'd like to be placed with the BAU." You smiled.

"Any particular reason, Cadet Y/L/N? Many other cadets also picked that unit." One of the Brass members spoke up.

"I believe that the BAU is one of the most important units in the FBI. They use skills that are very unique in order to identify and apprehend all sorts of criminals from serial killers to home invaders. Their work saves countless lives and they often put in the hours that others wouldn't in order to make the world a safer place, and I'd love to be part of that." You explained, trying to be as honest as possible.

"You do realise that joining the BAU means that you'd have to do an extra course on profiling. You wouldn't just join the BAU and instantly become a profiler." The director insisted.

"I do realise that. And it wouldn't be an issue for me. Not only have I been doing this program, but I've also been working through my last year of college, - intending to graduate with a BA in philosophy - as well as taking a class on Behavioural Analysis taught by Dr. Spencer Reid." You explained, feeling really proud of yourself.

"Well, Cadet Y/L/N. That all sounds very impressive. We wish you well with your classes and you will soon know of our decision." The director smiled.

"When exactly will the placements be announced?" You asked, curious.

"They will be announced the day of your graduation." The director explained, making you wish for your graduation day to come quicker.