20. Digital evidence

Until Y/N and Spencer told the team about their relationship, they couldn't have anyone using Penelope to find out what they were hiding. Sure, Spencer was a profiler and Y/N was studying to become one, but their co-workers knew Spencer - and now Y/N - so well, that they could tell if there was something going on.

That's why the new couple's romantic conversations only occurred via letters or notes. Spencer knew that if he said the wrong thing at the wrong time or changed his behaviour, everyone - especially Derek - would figure out that something was up and they'd go to Garcia, hoping that she might be able to hack into Spencer's phone to discover the private romantic messages between him and Y/N. So, Spencer and Y/N agreed that while at work, as long as no one was around, they could send letters and notes to each other, those notes and letters containing romantic words. But when they weren't at work and they weren't around their friends, they could freely act like a couple.

This plan of theirs worked for a while. They found it difficult to keep their feelings a secret from the team, but they managed, knowing that they'd find out when the time was right.

Spencer had never had a girlfriend before. He was in uncharted territory when it came to date ideas. His first idea was to ask Derek, but then the questions would start and he wouldn't be able to keep his relationship with Y/N a secret.

So, with no close friends outside of work, Spencer did the next best thing, although he hated it. He went onto the internet. He hated the internet, mainly because in order to use the internet, you needed to use technology and Spencer hated technology. That's why he opted to use paper files instead of tablets.

But, much to his dismay, he clicked on GOOGLE and started typing, hoping that the eternal website might have some knowledge on the topic that he seemed to struggle with.

Soon enough, Spencer had written down a detailed list of places that he'd choose from to take Y/N on a date. Each of these places were highly reviewed and had a large menu with a wide variety of choices.

He heard footsteps entering the BAU bullpen, so he quickly deleted his search history and placed the paper in his desk as to not let Y/N or anyone else see what he had been writing.

"Hey, pretty boy, you got any plans for this weekend?" Derek asked, smirking.

"If we don't have a case, then yes I do. I have a date with the books that are sitting on my bookshelf at home." Spencer nodded, making Derek chuckle.

"Damn, kid. We need to get you some romance." He exhaled, shaking his head.

"When I want some romance, I'll get it myself. I don't need you to find someone for me." Spencer rolled his eyes as Derek shook his head, messing up Spencer's hair.

"Okay, okay. Calm down Reid. I was just joking." Derek chuckled.

As Derek walked past Spencer's desk, intending to go and ask Hotch a question in his office, Derek's gaze quickly snapped to the top drawer of Spencer's desk. It happened to be open slightly, enough for Derek to see a line worth of words. He was confused and shocked to see the name of a restaurant written messily on the paper.

Derek quickly changed his course. Instead of heading up to Hotch's office, he turned around and casually exited the bullpen, heading to Penelope's office. The moment he entered her office, he watched as she leaned back against her chair, really enjoying the kitten video on her screen.

"Hey, baby girl. Can I ask you a favour?" Derek asked, snapping Penelope out of her non-work activity.

"Sure, chocolate thunder. What can I do for you?" She asked, getting ready to type.

"I need you to look up Spencer's search history on his computer." Derek explained, watching as Penelope immediately started typing.

"What's with the sudden need to see what Spencer researches online? You fearing that he might be in danger?" Penelope asked.

"Nope. More like he's getting some romance and he's not telling us." Derek explained his reasoning for wanting to see Spencer's search history.

"Here we go. Within the last hour...our boy genius has been researching highly rated restaurants within the Quantico and D.C. area. Is this what you're looking for?" Penelope asked, looking up at Derek, who nodded, smiling.

"Yes, it is. Thank you, baby girl." Derek placed a kiss on Penelope's head.

"Wait, you think he's got a girlfriend?" Penelope's eyes widened.

"I'm not sure, but it's a theory." Derek shook his head before leaving the small office.