41. Jailbirds

This was Y/N's least favourite case by far. Since she joined the BAU, she had dealt with parents who used their own kids to lure unsuspecting victims and teenagers who wanted revenge. But dealing with her parents on this case had to be the worse than anything she had experienced.

Dealing with her parents was like trying to teach a shark how to fly. It was impossible. They constantly undermined her and pretended that her ideas were theirs. Every time she went to present an idea, her parents could cut in with their own ridiculous ideas.

Y/N truly couldn't wait for this case to be over. Every moment that went by was another moment closer to getting away from her horrible parents. Spencer picked up on the tension between Y/N and her parents, even helping her avoid them. Every time they asked for her or asked where she was, he purposefully lied to keep Y/N from getting more annoyed than she already was.

"We have 2 identified victims out of 7. Mark Russo and Thomas Lanson." JJ spoke as she handed two images to everyone.

"Ah. I remember those bastards." Y/F/N chuckled, throwing the image of the men onto a nearby table.

"What do you know about them?" Derek asked.

"Mark Russo is a low-level crook who was a drug runner for some very rich and powerful drug-lords. One of his bosses lives in Russia. One of bosses lives in...Italy. He was helping Y/F/N and I with some business here." Y/M/N smiled.

"What about Thomas Lanson?" Hotch asked, confused.

"Lanson was basically my right-hand-man, besides Richard Sumner of course, may his dirty soul rest in pieces." Y/M/N hissed, rolling her eyes.

"Okay, so it seems like both victims were somehow in contact with you both. Russo was a drug runner who was helping you with some business, here in New York. Lanson was your right-hand-man." Y/N exhaled, trying to avoid eye contact with her parents.

"So, you're saying that we're the reason for these killings?" Y/M/N glared at her daughter, who shook her head.

"No. I'm simply suggesting that you're the link connecting these two victims." You clarified your suggestion.

"Just say it, Y/N. You blame us for these killings." Y/F/N stared Y/N down. Feeling enraged, Y/N slammed the file down onto the table and exited the conference room. She walked all the way through the Brooklyn Police Department and stepped onto the pavement outside. She felt sick. Her parents were sucking the energy out of her and she couldn't take it anymore. All she wanted to do was climb into her and Spencer's bed and curl up into a ball.

Y/N texted Spencer and Hotch, informing them that she needed some space. She needed to take a walk to clear her mind. She couldn't be in the same room as her parents, at least, not for a while.

Spencer was more than understanding, even offering to accompanying her, but she declined. Hotch understood, informing her of what the team would be doing while she took her time away.

———
(1 Hour Later)

Y/N
You had been gone for an hour. You messaged back and forth with Hotch and Spencer and eventually, you let them both know that you were on your way back to the department after a much needed break.

As you turned down the street that would lead you straight to the department, you felt your phone buzz.

Spencer: Hey, Y/N? Have you seen your parents?

Y/N: No? The last thing I want is to see my parents. Why?

Spencer: They left the department 30 minutes ago and haven't returned.