40. Birthday surprise

It turned out that Y/N's parents were actually at the BAU for a reason. Hotch had Penelope track them down, as he believed that they might be useful in a murder case in New York. And unfortunately, he was right. He briefed her parents and the team, and as soon as he talked about the M.O., both of her parents recognised it. They couldn't exactly remember who the M.O. belonged to out of their thousands of contacts and associates, but that's where the nightmare began.

Hotch insisted that Y/M/N and Y/F/N come with them to New York, as consultants.

She rejected this. How could Hotch expect her to survive a case in New York, while dealing with her narcissistic parents?

But alas, she had not choice. They would be a key component in the case and she had to deal with that. So, she insisted that she would not work directly with her parents. Hotch agreed.

———

Y/N sat on the opposite end of the jet from her parents, Spencer sitting with her. For some reason, just getting a glimpse of her parents made her wounds hurt.

"When we get to our hotel later tonight, I've got a birthday gift for you." Spencer whispered to her.

Spencer and the team had remembered her birthday, but due to the case, celebrating her birthday had become secondary. She didn't mind that. She liked to celebrate her birthday, but she wasn't a big party girl. The team agreed to give her their gifts throughout the day. They may have been on a case, but they could still show some love to their co-worker on her birthday.

Y/N just hoped that maybe her parents would get the hint that it was their daughter's birthday. Although, Y/N was certain that they'd be too wrapped up in being important consultants to even bother remembering.

"Y/N, I want you and Spencer to head to the latest crime scene. JJ and Derek, I want you two at the M.E.'s office. Prentiss and Rossi, I want you two to interview Mr and Mrs. Helwen. Mr and Mrs. Y/L/N will be coming with me to the Brooklyn Police Department." Hotch gave the team instructions.

Y/N also secretly hoped that her parents would begin to be proud of her. They were getting a look into the life that Y/N had built for herself since they got arrested. Maybe, they'd start to be proud of her like actual parents would, and not just pretend like they cared.

The whole day went by. The team did their tasks and a few extra things to get as much information as possible. Soon enough, everyone met Hotch and Y/N's parents at the Police Department. Y/N and Spencer stopped by a cafe. The team happily indulged themselves with the food, hoping that the break would allow them to refresh themselves.

Y/N stood up, needing to get herself some more coffee. As she walked over to the small kitchen toward the edge of the Police Department, she felt someone behind her. She smiled, hoping that her boyfriend was behind her, but her smile quickly disappeared when she realised that it was her mother who had decided to follow her.

"Try to hurt me. I dare you." Y/N joked. Well, it wasn't a joke, at least, not really. Her badge was tucked into the inside pocket of her blazer. Her gun was in her holster that was tightly attached to her belt.

"I can see why you're well liked on this team. You're the youngest member, so everyone else sees you as their younger sibling. Well, not Dr. Reid. You're his girlfriend. You think he loves you, but in reality, he probably sees you as a piece of meat that he can haul around with him to make himself feel better." She smiled.