Chapter 2

Elio woke up from his sleep with a jolt. Fear suddenly engulfed him like a tsunami swallowing land. He quickly got off the bed and grabbed his phone to contact Lorenzo. The call was not pushing through and with every try, his fear increased tenfold. Elio heard the sound of a vehicle coming from outside of the house so he ran out of his room and ran straight to the car.

Marcus got out of the van first and he froze as soon as he saw Elio standing by the door. Elio ran to the van but Marcus grabbed him and forcefully dragged him inside. 

"Marcus let me go!" Elio screamed, thrashing against his hold but Marcus wouldn't budge. 

The rest started pooling out of the car and none of the could look Elio in the eyes. Elio froze as soon as he saw a body bag being pulled out of the van. He surveyed each and every one of their men, desperately looking for his husband's face, but when he failed to do so, he realized whose body was in that body bag. 

The men carried the body inside and Elio could only stare in shock. He kept trying to tell himself that maybe he just lagged behind or that maybe he was still in the van. Yeah, maybe he was still in the van. Elio walked toward the vehicle and searched the inside. Nobody stopped him this time. They just stood outside, waiting for Elio to be there for him when it all sinks in. 

"Where's the other van? This one's the backup right?" Elio asked as soon as he stepped out of the vehicle but no one answered him. 

"Oh," was all that he was able to say when he heard silence as a response. "I'll go inside then," Elio said and walked back inside.

The rest just watched him trudge back inside. They couldn't gauge his reaction, probably because he was still in shock. Elio walked over to the table where the body bag was. Marcus stood beside him, not uttering a word as he opened the zipper, revealing Lorenzo's body inside. 

"Were you that tired that you fell asleep on the way back, Enz?" Elio chuckled as he caressed Lorenzo's hair.

He was seemingly blind to the bullet wound in his head. Lorenzo wasn't dead. He was just asleep.

"You have to wake up, Enz. You still need to tell me what happened," Elio said, his voice slowly breaking. 

"Lorenzo, come on. This is not a funny prank. I promise I won't smoke anymore," Elio shook Lorenzo's body but still no response. 

Marcus placed his hand on Elio's shoulder in an attempt to comfort him but his hand was just pushed away.

"This isn't funny, Enz. Wake the fuck up!" Elio yelled, tears now falling down his face like waterfalls. "Marcus, why the fuck is he not waking up?!"

"Elio," Marcus carefully started. "He's gone."

What came next was something Marcus did not anticipate. Elio's fist flew toward his face. He didn't even have time to react when his fist landed on his jaw, throwing him off balance and sending him flying to the floor. Marcus sat up with a groan but he wasn't mad. He understood why Elio reacted that way.

"Whatever you two are fucking doing is not funny! This is not the kind of prank that you do!" Elio yelled at him.

Marcus sighed. "It's not a prank, Elio."

"Fuck you!"

Elio shook Lorenzo's body again and again, begging him to wake up but every time he tried, Lorenzo remained unresponsive. Elio grabbed Marcus from the floor, screaming and yelling at him, asking him to tell Lorenzo to stop this prank. Everyone in the home could hear him screaming. Their chests constricted from the commotion. They felt pity for their boss. They knew how much they meant to each other and seeing Elio crumble like this was painful.

Elio finally collapsed on Marcus' chest, sobbing from the extreme pain that he was feeling. His heart was breaking in every way possible. They were supposed to spend the rest of their lives together. They knew the life they were in was dangerous and that they could die at any moment but the pain was still unbearable.

Elio screamed and cried. He couldn't believe his husband was gone. He was alone again. Lorenzo wasn't supposed to leave him but he did. Marcus could only cradle Elio in his arms until he finally passed out. Marcus carried Elio back to his room and assigned the others to handle Lorenzo's funeral. 

As Marcus was about to leave Elio alone in their room, gunshots suddenly started to rain on their turf. All of the men scrambled to get their weapons but despite the commotion, Elio was still passed out. Marcus cursed under his breath. He couldn't get out and leave Elio alone. He was too vulnerable.

Marcus could hear the screams of his comrades as they were killed off one by one. He grabbed his phone and checked the cameras. It was clear from what he can see that they were overpowered. Most of his men weren't killed but they were on the brink of death. Smoke slowly engulfed the room and Marcus scrambled to try and block it from blinding him. 

The door bursts open and Marcus quickly went beside Elio. Three men entered the room, all pointing their guns at him. Marcus knew he had no fight against them. He couldn't fight three-to-one and protect Elio at the same time.

"Well, this was easy," One of the men laughed. "We just want that little boy who's asleep. Give him to us and we'll leave. Easy peasy."

Marcus shot the man in the knee. He wasn't going down without a fight. If they die, at least Elio would get to be with Lorenzo again. The man fell to the ground crouching in pain. He was expecting the others to retaliate but none of them do. A man suddenly entered through the window and stuck a syringe in Marcus' neck

Marcus tried to fight it off but whatever was injected into his neck was potent and it knocked him out in seconds. The man then moved over to Elio and injected another syringe into his arm.

"Man, he was asleep all throughout the commotion. A gun was fired and he barely even flinched."

"Just making sure."

The man rolled his eyes before grabbing Elio and slinging him over his shoulder. 

"Help, please," the man who was shot said.

"Okay," then a bullet was in his head. "I really hate that guy. Good riddance."

"Boss will be happy he's dead."

The three laughed as they walked back to their car. More than half of Elio's men had already fled and the rest were left in the house injured or sedated. The infiltrators moved out of the scene with Elio in their possession. They took something from them so it was only fair that they take something in return. 

"Hey, Cole," one of the men called out. "Doesn't he look familiar?" Hanes asked, pointing over at Elio.

Cole observed Elio's face and then shook his head.

"Imagine him younger and with no tattoos and also thinner," Hanes said.

Cole rolled his eyes but did what Hanes asked anyway. His eyes suddenly lit up in recognition.

"Fuck, how will he react to this," Cole muttered under his breath. "How the fuck did he get involved with the mafia?" Cole asked in disbelief.

"I don't know. Maybe he was spotted with him before he left and then he was recruited or something," Hanes said.

"Well, fuck," Cole sighed. "Let's just get him back to the base and don't tell anyone about what you noticed, okay."

Hanes nodded. It was such a surprise seeing someone they thought they would never see again. They could only imagine how he would react. Cole swallowed in fear. Getting him angry is the last thing they want right now.