Chapter 15

Elio sneaked away from Killian and went straight to Marcus' room. His room was left neat and all his drawers were made from clear plastic. Even his closet doors were changed to glass ones. It was the same setup he had at their old home. The mattress was on the floor and even the table and chair were made from clear acrylic. It does not look like a room wherein you could hide something. 

Looking back, Elio realized it was suspicious that Marcus was always so open about everything. Marcus was easy to trust. He was way easy to trust. Elio started to rummage through Marcus' stuff. He doesn't know what he's looking for but Elio was confident that he was going to find something. Elio stopped for a moment before deciding to jump all over the mattress. 

Once he got to the middle of the bed, it made a clacking sound as he jumped on top of it.  Elio turned over the mattress and found a zipper in the middle. He opened it and found a steel box inside. Elio was praying that it was just some fake documents or Marcus' plan for escape. Elio didn't want to find out this way but he had to. 

The box had a lock on it so Elio smashed it onto the floor until the box was forced open. Elio scoffed at how easy it was to open the box. He felt a bit of relief, thinking that Marcus wouldn't hide something so important in such a flimsy box. Elio opened it and found a key inside. A sigh escaped his lips. It can't be, Marcus couldn't be up to something. 

Elio hated that he let Killian's words get to him. He felt bad for not trusting Marcus but he was not giving him reasons to fully trust him at this point anyway. Elio thought of where Marcus could be hiding something in his room. He went to the bathroom and opened the cupboards one by one but came up empty each time. 

One more idea popped into his head. Elio lifted the lid from the toilet tank and there he found another steel box. Carefully, he placed down the lid and fished the box from inside the tank. He used the key from earlier to open it and found a variety of communication devices inside all wrapped in plastic. 

How come Marcus did not inform him about any of this? Did he have a contact from the outside that could help him? What was Marcus trying to achieve?

He peeled open one of the devices which looked like a satellite phone. Thankfully, it was on and Elio was able to access it. The phone pinged and a message popped up on the screen.

Breach in 30. 

"Fuck," Elio cursed under his breath.

He grabbed the box and all of its contents before running back to Killian. Fortunately, Killian was awake looking for him. 

"Where have you been?" Killian asked. 

"You need someone to check on Marcus," Elio warned. "I found this in his room. Maybe you were fucking right or something but this received a message stating that there would be a breach in thirty minutes."

"Jace, ask Cole to check on Marcus, arm the men, and evacuate the others to the safe room. Now!" Killian commanded.

Jace handed Killian a two-way radio before running off to do his command. 

"We have to hide," Killian said as he painfully sat up from the bed. "There's a safe room in my office. We can watch what's happening from there. Bring those so we can disable it."

Elio nodded and half--carried Killian to the office. People were running around as they passed through the halls. He could see the fear on the faces of some of the regular staff and he could only guess that this does not happen very often. Killian limped his way to the office and pulled a hidden switch, revealing a secret safe room. He motioned for Elio to get inside before following after him.

"Give those to me," Killian said as he sat down on the chair.

Elio saw him wince in pain.

"Are you okay?" Elio asked.