Chapter 16

"Did you know?" Elio asked.

"I just had a hunch about him working undercover. I didn't know about the other stuff. He was good at hiding his true intentions," Killian replied as he limped behind Elio. 

"How about the others?" Elio asked.

"They'll be fine," Killian said before his body finally gave up and his knees buckled, causing him to almost crash down onto the floor. 

Elio was able to catch him in time before he face-planted. 

"Let me carry you," Elio said.

Killian didn't protest as Elio carried him on his back. They continued to walk down the tunnel for what was starting to feel like hours. The dim lights were not helping his dilemma. 

"Are you sure we're going the right way?" Elio asked.

"Yeah, just follow down the tunnel. We're close," he replied.

After what felt like another hour, they reached the end of the tunnel where the exit was. Elio carefully let Killian down on the ground and he stood back as Killian opened the door. They were greeted by a garage and Elio was surprised to see that Jace and all the other men were already there. 

"HI, boss," Cole waved.

"The others?" Killian asked.

"All safe, boss."

"Easy kill?"

"Easy kill," Cole said with a smile. 

Elio was confused with what was going on but he was too tired to question it. They all got into the cars and one by one, they all drove away. Elio was staring out the window as they drove down the dirt road. Killian gently took his hand in his and Elio gave him a small smile. Suddenly, a loud banging sound came from behind him and the ground shook slightly but they kept going.

"What was that?" ELio asked. 

"The tunnels. We're not going back there anymore," Killian replied. 

"What?" Elio asked and another loud banging sound was heard. "Was that the Manor this time?" 

"Yep," Killian replied. "Go get some rest. It will be a while before we get to where we need to be."

Elio nodded in agreement. He was too tired to protest. He gently laid his head down on Killian's lap and his hand immediately found its way through Elio's hair. It didn't take long for Elio to fall asleep. 

"Our contact said sorry," Cole chuckled. 

Killian just shook his head. "He could've at least warned us."

"You know he's not a very smart guy. Cut him some slack, this was only one mishap," Cole replied. 

They drove until the sun had come down and the moon has risen. All the cars were parked in the underground garage and slowly, the men started to file out. 

"You  need help with him, boss?" Cole asked.

"No, I'm good. I'll wake him up," Killian replied.

Cole nodded and exited the car, leaving the two alone. Killian watched as Elio sleeper peacefully. He didn't want to wake him up. Killian gently traces the features of Elio's face with the tip of his finger. It was reminiscent of their past relationship where Elio would do the same when he thought Killian was asleep. Elio finally woke up. Killian helped him get up and it took a while for him to get his wits about. 

"Are we finally here?" Elio sleepily asked. 

"Yeah, we're here," Killian replied.

The two got out of the car and entered the manor. It wasn't the size that baffled him, it was the fact that everyone was acting as if the earlier events didn't happen. Everything was almost the same as they were before. Everybody was calm and collected as if they weren't running for their lives earlier.