Chapter 4

Elio was stunned to silence once again and then everything suddenly clicked into place. The person he wanted dead for so long raised the man he loved. Kilian saw a myriad of emotions flash through Elio's eyes. 

"Your father raped me."

Shock, anger, and confusion flashed across Killian's face. The mixture of emotions almost made his face unreadable. 

"Is that why you wanted-, no, needed him to be killed?" Killian asked.

Killian started to laugh humorlessly., shaking his head in disbelief.

"Fuck!" Killian yelled in anger, throwing the bedside table against the wall, and smashing it into pieces.

Elio didn't flinch. He didn't know what to feel. He wanted to feel anger towards Killian for being his rapist's son but he couldn't. He just wanted to be home. He just wanted all this to end and to be left behind. 

"I'm so sorry, Elio. If I had known, I would've killed him myself," Killian said as he approached Elio once again.

"Well, there's nothing you can do now can you," he scoffed. I want to go back home, please," Elio whispered under his breath.

"You're already home, Elio," Killian replied.

Elio shook his head. This wasn't his home nor will it be his home. He just wanted to go back to the people he knew. Marcus is probably worried sick. Their men- his men, needed a leader. They needed him to get back up on their feet after losing Lorenzo.

"No, I'm not. My men need me," Elio said, trying to keep a firm tone. 

Killian shook his head. "I'm afraid you have no more men to go back to. I had to make sure no one would attempt to take you back."

Tears started to erupt from Elio's eyes once again. He had his revenge but at what cost? He no longer lived in fear that the man who took his dignity would come back for him but it cost him the life of his husband and the lives of the most important people in his life. He should've listened to Lorenzo when he saw him that night but his heart yearned for revenge. 

Elio wished he could've done things differently. He would've never been married to Lorenzo but his life wouldn't be taken just for his sake. Two of Killian's men suddenly barged into the room and Elio saw a chance to escape but his body wouldn't move. He felt paralyzed.

"What is it?!" Killian snapped.

"A man is looking for your trophy, boss? Should we kill him?" The taller one asked.

"Oh, is he one of the few people you spared?" Killian asked as he sat up from the floor.

"Yes, boss. What should we do?" they asked.

"Elio, come with me," Killian said, reaching his hand out to Elio but the latter shook his head. 

"Please? If you don't I'll just kill the man looking for you," Killian said with an innocent smile.

That got Elio standing up but he refused to hold Killian's hand. Killian sighed and motioned for Elio to follow him. Elio kept his eyes open for any escape route as they passed through the halls. Elio noted how big the building was. There was room after room and the hallways never seemed to end. 

After a while, they finally reached the front door where the man in question was being held by two of the guards. The man was oddly calm. Elio doesn't know if he was drugged or not and he still couldn't figure out who it was they were holding.

"Elio!" the man yelled and tried coming over to Elio but he was held back.

"Marcus?" Elio tried approaching him but Killian held him back. "Marcus, you're alive!"

Elio felt delighted. Marcus was alive. He wanted to go over there and hug him but they were both being held back.

"Now my dear Elio. What do we do with him?"Killian asked.

"Send us back home, please," Elio begged.

"How about this, I kill him right now OR," Killian said, with an emphasis on the or. "he gets to stay here and be your bodyguard. He'd be one of my men and his life is spared. How about that?"

Elio eyes Killian suspiciously. There was no way that is all that Killian was asking for. Killian could almost read Elio's mind so he put on a softer facade.

"Look, Elio. I know you don't trust me yet but you can trust me on this. I would never hurt you. You already what kind of life we're in and you know how ruthless we can be. I won't hurt you or Marcus if he stays, I promise," he said while looking into Elio's eyes.

Elio desperately tried to find the lie in Killian's words through his eyes but failed miserably. He had nothing left and he couldn't let another life be lost because of him.

"He can stay," Elio meekly replied.

The guards let go of Marcus and so did Killian. Elio ran over to Marcus and engulfed him in a tight hug. Killian felt a surge of jealousy rushes through him. That should've been the way that Elio reacted when he saw him but he knew he had to be patient. Killian told his men to prepare a room for Marcus and he waited until the two pulled apart.

"I know you know I killed your boss but let's be civil here, okay? An eye for an eye," Killian calmly said.

"If you knew what your father did to Elio you would kill him as well," Marcus spat.

A flash of regret and pain flashed through Killian's eyes and it was easy to miss. "I know what he did," Killian replied. "He deserved that death-"

"But Lorenzo didn't," Marcus continued.

"As I said to Elio earlier, if I didn't kill him, someone else will. You messed with the big dogs and I gave him a painless death. We both know that."

Marcus hated that the man was right but nodded his head in response. 

"I'll leave you to catch up. Dinner's at six," Killian said before walking away.

He would've stayed beside Elio but seeing how he was clinging to that Marcus guy was making him lose his sanity. He doesn't want to do something that will push Elio away from him. Marcus quickly checked on Elio to see if he had any injuries. He let out a sigh of relief when he found that Elio was unscathed.

"How many of our men are left?" Elio asked.

They only had fifteen men in total and Elio feared that none of them may have been left alive. 

"None, I'm sorry," Marcus sadly replied. "Some were still alive when I woke up but based on their injuries, they weren't going to last long so I let them rest."

Elio nodded in understanding but still felt a dull ache in his heart.

"How about Lorenzo's body?" Elio asked. 

"I buried him before I came for you. Here," he said, handing Elio Lorenzo's wedding ring. 

Elio gave him a sad smile and slipped the ring on his thumb. It was the only finger where the ring would fit.

"Your room is ready Marcus. Come with me," Cole said and motioned for Killian to follow. 

Elio followed too but he was stopped. 

"You're going with Jace, he's bringing you back to Killian," Cole said.

Marcus gave him a worried look but he gave him a reassuring smile. Marcus sighed and followed Cole. 

"Sir Elio?"

"Yes?"

"I'm Jace. Follow me please."

Elio nodded and followed Jace. Elio has no idea what their future was about to look like. Killian accepting Marcus as one of his men was highly suspicious and as much as Elio didn't want to believe it, he had a feeling that Marcus may not be completely telling him the truth but he was too tired to even think about it. All he had to know is play along and find a chance to escape, even if it meant leaving Marcus behind.