Chapter 8

"You could harvest those if you want. Nobody really wants to be bothered with peeling sunflower seeds so we just let it run its course," Killian said as he walked beside Elio who was standing in front of the sunflower patch.

Elio let out a tired sigh. "I thought I could get away from you for a few minutes," he muttered under his breath. "What do you want, Killian?"

"It would be suspicious if I just let you wander around on your own. You can't be alone, Elio. You know that," Killian said. 

"Yeah, yeah whatever. Now what do you want?" he asked again.

"The FBI does have the bodies. They're located in the headquarters' morgue."

"That means we can't get him back."

"We can. I told you, Elio. I could get him back," Killian said. 

"Even if you could, they would be suspicious. It would cause more problems and we already have enough of that," Elio said. "I just want to see him again. As much as I want to give him a proper burial, if the FBI has his body, I'm not willing to risk it."

"I really could get his body back without a trace and erase everything that they have on him," Killian said.  "They can't really keep his body if they have no evidence of his crimes."

Elio contemplated over Killians' words. A part of him desperately wants Lorenzo's body back but a part of him is scared that it would cause them more trouble, making it harder for him and Marcus to escape. He didn't want to trust Killian and he's having a hard time battling over his emotions. Elio regrets not being there when Lorenzo left. He hated that he wasted the last few minutes that he had left with his husband.

"Three in the morning, I'll ask Cole to bring you to the Northwestern Cemetery. If you're not there, I'll bring Lorenzo's body back to the morgue, but if you're there, we'll give him a proper burial. How about that?" Killian asked.

"I feel like I'm getting cornered here," Elio scoffed. 

"I'm not cornering you. I'm simply giving you a choice," he said. "Please, Elio. Trust me on this." Killian tried to hold Elio's hand but it was pushed away.

"I'll think about it," Elio said before walking past Killian.

Elio sighed a few steps later when he realized Killian would not really leave him alone. He started to walk back into their room with Killian right behind him, silently following. 

"Where's Marcus?" Elio asked.

Killian felt a tinge of jealousy as he heard Elio utter another man's name. 

"He's training in the basement," Killian replied.

"I need to talk to him," Elio said as he halted his steps. "Could you send him here please?"

"I'll send him here after his training," he replied.

Elio's jaw tense in annoyance. He needed to talk to Marcus now. The training could wait. 

"I need to talk to him now, Killian," Elio demanded.

"No. My men's training shall not be interrupted. You can talk to him once he's done with today's training," Killian said, leaving no room for argument. 

Elio kept his mouth shut and just nodded. He didn't want to get on Killian's bad side or he might assign him a different bodyguard and order Marcus to stay away. Killian sighed seeing the disappointed look on Elio's face. He can't bend the rules just for him even if he wants to. 

"You can talk to him after his training, okay?" Killian said in a much gentler tone.

"Okay," Elio mumbled. "Don't you have work or something? Are you going to follow me around all day like a lost puppy?" he asked.

"I can do whatever I want, Elio. If I want to follow you around all day like a puppy then so be it," Killian replied.

"I'll be in the bathroom. Please, don't bother me. It's the closest thing that I'll get to having privacy in this house," Elio grumbled before slamming the door shut behind him.

Killian sighed once again and sat down on the couch. He sent his men his orders through his phone, passing time as he waited for Elio to walk out of the bathroom. Elio on the other hand, was busy looking through the ceiling vent in the bathroom to see if he could remove it and escape from there but the vent cover was screwed into the ceiling so there was no way for it to be removed without too much effort. 

Elio sighed and stepped into the bathtub. He sat down in the tub, resting his head against the wall. He thought about what Killian said earlier. HE desperately wanted to see his husband again for the final time. He needed for him to have a proper burial and Killian is giving him that chance yet he feels conflicted. He felt as if it was a trap set up by Killian to get him to trust him again so that he would never leave but Elio wanted to give Lorenzo a proper resting place. 

I could escape while we're in the cemetery. Elio perked up at the thought.

The Northwestern Cemetery has a maze inside. If he could just outrun Killian and slip in through the maze, he could have a chance at escaping. But then Elio thought about Marcus. He can't leave Marcus here alone but he also can't ask him to come with him to the cemetery, knowing that Killian would not like that idea. 

Elio had fallen asleep in the tub. It's been an hour and Killian started to get worried. Worst-case scenarios had entered his head so he took the bathroom key and hurriedly opened the door. He rushed to see Elio asleep in the bathtub. He checked his wrists and let out a sigh of relief. Elio had just fallen asleep.

He tried waking Elio up but he wouldn't budge. He could only guess that Elio was not getting a good night's sleep on the couch so he carefully carried him out of the tub and laid him down on the bed. He made sure that no one will disturb them. Killian wanted to wrap his arms around Elio and cuddle him in his sleep but he knew Elio would probably hate him even more. 

"Lorenzo," Elio whispered in his sleep.

Killian felt as if someone had punched him in the chest. It still hurts him to see Elio completely in love with someone else. Killian scoffed and shook his head in disbelief. He can't believe he's jealous of a dead man. Elio saying that Lorenzo reminded him of Killian didn't help the situation either. It should've been him who was married to Elio, not anyone else.

Killian regretted all the years he didn't try to take Elio back into his life. He regretted all the years he let himself be a puppet of his father. His father's threat of killing Elio was enough for him to stay away. If only he had known the truth back then. He wouldn't be bending over to his father's rule. Killian is glad that his father is dead.

He loved the man but now he wasn't really sure if he truly loved his father. His death didn't make him feel sad or lost. He felt nothing. After knowing what he did to Elio, he could only wish that he could've been the one to have taken his father's life instead. But then he wouldn't be able to get Elio back. 

"Lorenzo," Elio whimpered.

Killian contemplated on whether to wake Elio up or not. Tears fell down his face as he slept, calling out his husband's name. Killian sat beside him and wiped his tears away but the action woke Elio up from his sleep. A smile grazed Elio's face as soon as he opened his eyes.

"Lorenzo, you're here," Elio whispered as he took KIllian's hand in his.

Killian felt another flash of pain in his chest. If he could kill a dead man, he would. Elio closes his eyes again with a satisfied sigh and fell back to sleep. Killian placed a soft kiss on his forehead, whispering sweet words against his skin. Killian could only wish that one day, he would be the man to be in Elio's dreams once again, and once that happens, he will not let anyone take Elio away from him again.