Chapter 9

"Elio, wake up."

Elio shot up at the sound of Marcus' voice.

"Woah, easy," Marcus chuckled.

"Sorry," Elio muttered under his breath.

He looked around and saw Killian standing near the door.

"Could you leave us alone for a while, please?" Elio asked.

He saw Killian's jaw tense at the request.

"No," Killian firmly said before sitting down on the couch. 

Elio knew how stubborn Killian could be. Elio sighed and motioned for Marcus to sit down beside him. Elio made sure that their thighs and shoulders were touching as he leaned closer to Marcus' ear, whispering random words. Marcus got the hint and did the same. He placed his hand against Elio's cheek and pulled him closer as he whispered in his ear.

Elio glanced over at Killian and saw that their plan was working. His jaw was clenched and his hands were balled into tight fists that his knuckles are turning white. Marcus wrapped his arm around Elio's waist and pulled him closer to him. It was the last straw. Killian bolted up from the couch and marched out of the room, slamming the door closed behind him. 

"Fucking finally," Elio muttered as he put some space between him and Marcus. 

"You're going to have to explain that to me," Marcus said. 

"No, I don't need to explain anything," Elio replied.

"Then what was that then? He's not going to act like that just because you're his trophy," Marcus interrogated but Elio stayed silent.

Marcus let out a sigh. "Elio, listen. I need to know what kind of situation we're dealing with here. If we want to escape effectively and with no chance of him catching us, you need to tell me what is going on between you two."

Elio contemplated his words. He didn't want to tell Marcus about his past but the longer they stay here, the more he can no longer hide it. 

"He was my ex. We dated all throughout highschool," Elio finally said.

"Oh shit."

"Yeah, shit."

"Did you know he was part of the mafia back then?" Marus asked.

"No, I never knew. He didn't act differently than any of our peers and I wouldn't know what would be different anyway back then," Elio replied.

"Okay. Okay, okay," Marcus mumbled. "No wonder he was acting like that. Escaping has just become much harder than I thought."

"Yeah," Elio muttered. "He got a hold of Lorenzo's body. He said we're going to bury him at the Northwestern cemetery if I show up there with Jace. If not, he'll  return the body back."

"Lorenzo's body?" Marcus asked in shock. There was something else in his tone that alerted Elio but he couldn't point it out. "Where did he find it?"

"Doesn't matter," Elio answered. "I think I can escape through the mazes-"

"And you think he hasn't thought of that yet?" Marcus asked with a raised brow. 

Elio clamped his mouth shut. Marcus had a point. Killian might make it seem that it would just be the two of them and two to three bodyguards, but he realized that his men might be scattered all around the cemetery.

Marcus sighed, seeing the dejected look on ELio's face. "Look, you have to gain his trust first. You can't just try to escape without a plan. Go ahead and say your goodbyes to Lorenzo and then we'll see what we can do from there."

"Okay," Elio sighed. "Thanks, Marcus."

"You're welcome."

Elio pulled Marcus into a tight hug, nuzzling his face in his chest. The familiar scent gave him comfort. Killian opened the door and the sight before him made him see red. He pulled Marcus away from Elio and delivered a punch to his face. Marcus fell to the floor with a pained grunt and Elio quickly rushed to his side.

"What the fuck, Killian?!"

Killian stepped back after he realized what he has done.

"Shit, Marcus. I'm sorry, man," Killian said as he tried to help Marcus up but Elio pushed him away.

"Elio, calm down. I'm fine," Marcus said as he pushed himself off the floor. 

"Fine? Your lip is busted, Marcus!" Elio exclaimed in worry as he wiped away the blood dripping down Marcus' chin.

"It's fine. I've had worse. I'll just go to the infirmary. We'll talk later, okay?" Marcus calmly said, giving Elio a reassuring smile. 

Elio sighed but let Marcus go. Marcus walked out of the room, leaving him and Killian alone. 

"Why the fuck did you do that, Killian?" Elio asked in disbelief. 

"I don't know. I'm sorry. My jealousy got the best of me," Killian replied. 

"Try not to let it get the "best of you", next time," Elio spat. 

Killian just nodded in response. He felt defeated. He needed to gain Elio's trust back and then he pulls something like this. He can't help but be irrational when Elio is in front of him. He so badly wanted to go back to the way there were before but with each day that passes, it's becoming more and more of a wishful thinking. 

"I really am sorry. I promise it won't happen again," Killian tried to plead.

Elio scoffed.  "Yeah as if you're good with promises. Last time you promised that you'll never leave me yet here we are."

"But I came back, didn't I?"

"Yeah, you came back because you thought you had a chance with me again after killing my husband," Elio spat. "Do me a favor, Killian. Stop. Trying. Just because we're burying Lorenzo doesn't mean I'm also burying the years we spent together and then just replace him with you."

"Didn't you say that you saw him as my replacement?" Killian spat back.

He immediately regretted the words as it came out of his mouth. 

"Shit, sorry, Elio. I didn't mean-"

"You did, you meant it," Elio cut off. 

He dropped down on the bed as tears escaped his eyes. Killian was right. He admitted it himself. He hated that he admitted it to Killian as well. Now he looks like the bad guy.

"Look, I'm sorry for using that against you. It was just the heat of the moment," Killian said as he sat beside Elio.

"I know, but it's still true. Even in my dreams, I'm calling Lorenzo yet your face keeps showing up," Elio sighed. "He died because of me. He died because I needed him to fill the void that you left."

The two sat in silence for a while. Neither knew what words to say next. Guilt was gnawing at Killian. He didn't wish for Elio to feel guilt for moving on after he had left him. He could've fought harder for their relationship but he didn't. He couldn't fault Elio for doing what he felt needed to be done to move on. 

Killian slowly inches his hand towards Elio's and when Elio didn't flinch, he took it as a yes. He took Elio's hand in his and intertwined their fingers. A soft smile grazed his face as he caressed the back of Elio's hand with his thumb. Elio abruptly pulled his hand away after a few seconds. He was feeling conflicted about everything. 

"I'll go to Lorenzo's burial. Whatever you need to do after that is none of my business. I just want to give him a final resting place," Elio said.

"Okay, we'll just go together, yeah?" 

"Yeah."

It was his final chance to say goodbye. Knowing Lorenzo, he was probably happy with how his life was taken. It was swift and he didn't suffer. Elio felt a bit of peace knowing that Lorenzo no longer has to live this kind of life anymore. He could only wish that Lorenzo could finally find peace in the afterlife.