Chapter 13

Elio decided to take a nap after showering and changing his clothes. The day had become overwhelming and a nap was sure to fix it. He was awoken by Jace knocking on his door. Elio didn't want to wake up and ignored Jace as he continuously knocked on the door. 

"Elio! He's looking for you," Jace shouted through the door. 

Elio's eyes snapped open as he remembered Killian barging into his room all battered and bloody. Elio quickly got up and opened the door to find Jace impatiently waiting. They walked back into the clinic and found Killian patiently waiting for him. Jace stood behind and closed the door behind him, leaving Elio and Killian alone.

"How are you feeling?" Elio asked as he walked toward Killian's bedside.

"Good. Better now that you're here," Killian muttered as he reached out for Elio's hand. 

"Mind telling me what happened?" Elio asked and Killian answered with a chuckle.

"No, I just got into a really bad fight," Killian replied. 

"Why?" Elio asked.

"Why are you asking? You worried about me?" Killian teased but Elio just pulled his hand away with a scoff.

Elio didn't miss the pained look on Killian's face that flashed for a split second.

"Why did you ask for me then?" he asked. 

"Because seeing you make me feel better. Better than I ever felt in my entire life when you weren't there," Killian muttered.

"So, you're okay now? I can leave?" Elio asked sounding uninterested but in reality, he wanted to stay and take care of Killian.

He knew he shouldn't, but seeing Killian's state made him want to stay. Killian just nodded to his question but he quickly averted his gaze and he looked sullen. Elio sighed and pulled a chair next to his bed and sat down.

"Fine, I'll stay," I'm glad you're okay. 

"I really just got into a bad fight, okay? I needed to let out some steam and a bit more than I can swallow," Killian said. 

"You were gone for days, Killian."

"I know. I'm sorry. I wasn't thinking straight," Killian sighed. "Where's Marcus? He's supposed to be with you at all times."

"We got into a fight," Elio sighed. 

"I'll have Jace stay with you. Marcus needed more training anyway," Killian said, causing Elio to raise a brow at him.

"You hit your head or something? Maybe you need a bit more rest."

"Shut up, Elio. I know what I'm doing. Marcus wasn't ready, I was just mad and wanted you to stay with someone you trust. But now that I'm back, I'll have Jace stay with you until I recover," Killian said. 

Elio wanted to argue but kept his mouth shut. He had to be more patient this time and earn Killian's trust. Jace was another story. The man barely spoke or showed any emotions. It had been hard for Elio to read the man whenever they had a chance to interact. 

"Okay," Elio replied. 

"What? You're not protesting?" Killian asked with a raised brow. 

"No, not today," Elio said with a small smile. 

"Could you sit beside me, please?"

"Killian-"

"Please, just this one time. Stay until I fall asleep again," Killian pleaded. 

Elio sighed but complied anyway. He sat on the empty space on Killian's bed and Killian held his hand. Neither of them talked. Elio absentmindedly caressed the back of Killian's hand with his thumb. It didn't take long for Killian to fall asleep. Elio stayed, observing Killian's face. 

He noticed how his eyebrows are now bushy and overgrown. He had kept them neat and groomed when they were together. The scar on his cheek that Elio caused when accidentally smacked Killian on the face with a bench scraper. There were wrinkles on his forehead that weren't there before. He didn't realize how much Killian had aged until now. Despite the bruises and cuts on his face, Killian still looked good. 

Elio felt Killian's hand loosen against his but he didn't let go. Part of him does not want to let go so he stayed. Killian was asleep anyway so he just sat there with him. After a while, Elio lay beside Killian, hoping that he would wake up before Killian does, and with that thought, he fell asleep beside the man he used to love... or still loves. 

Elio woke up to Killian caressing his hair. The sun was up and bright when he woke up. A tray of food was waiting for them on the table beside Killian. Killian's eyes were still closed but he was awake. Elio sat up and got off the bed but Killian caught his wrist.

"At least eat with me before you leave," Killian pleaded. 

Elio sighed and helped Killian sit up. He knew the man was in great pain given that he failed to hide the grimace on his face. Elio helped Killian eat his breakfast. He knew Killian was more than capable of eating by himself but he wanted to seem clueless about the severity of Killian's condition.

Elio wasn't sure if he was doing it due to his feelings for the man resurfacing or if he was doing it to gain Killian's trust. He needed to move on his own now. Even if Marcus and him talk out their differences, he knew he needed to have a plan of his own. He wasn't sure he could trust Marcus right now.

A nurse came in to check on Killian after they ate. His pain medications were administered and the nurse left shortly after, leaving the two alone once again. Elio was still sitting on the bed beside Killian. 

"You can leave if you want to," Killian said. "I'm surprised you slept beside me, but if you want to go now, you can."

Elio didn't answer nor move from his spot. Killian took advantage of the silence and took Elio's hand. He didn't say anything nor tease Elio, he was scared that Elio would pull his hand away again. A small smile grazed his face. 

"Did you really regret it?" Killian carefully asked. 

Elio pulled his hand away again. Killian feared that he had asked the wrong question until Elio turned to face him and gently placed his lips on his. Killian let out a sigh of relief and gently kissed him back. Killian winced in pain so Elio had to pull away.

"You okay?" Elio asked as he gently caressed Killian's lower lip with his thumb.

"It stung a little but I'm okay," Killian said as he held onto Elio's wrist, not wanting to lose the feeling of his skin on his. 

"You won't punish Marcus for disobeying orders, right?" Elio asked.

The smile on Killian's lips fell. Elio didn't kiss him to assure him that he didn't regret what happened between them. He kissed him because he wanted Marcus to be safe. Killian lets go of Elio's hand.

"I have to. You know that," Killian replied, his voice turning emotionless. 

"Don't go too hard on him, please," Elio begged. 

Killian sighed but nodded anyway. "He's going to be in isolation for a few days with no food and water."

Elio opened his mouth to protest but quickly clamped it shut. That was an easy punishment. Killian could do so much worse so he stopped himself from going against his decisions.

"Did you regret having sex with me?" Killian asked.

"I already answered that question," Elio replied. 

"You're going to have to answer again. With words this time," Killian said as he looked straight into Elio's eyes. 

Elio swallowed nervously. He truly didn't regret but he's battling with himself. He needed to gain Killian's trust but he's afraid that he'll get attached again. Killian was waiting patiently for his answer. He needed to confirm his suspicions but he was hoping that those suspicions are wrong. 

"No, I didn't regret it," Elio answered truthfully. "I just felt guilty doing it with you but I didn't regret it."

Killian felt his body relax in relief. 

"I love you, Elio."

"I know."

Killian's chest ached a little but he knew that Elio was not ready. He just felt the need to say it before it's too late and he could never say it again.