The personal tourist guide pt. 2

Alex.

It was never my plan to get this close with her.

It was my intention to not break my rule.

Yet here we are, her tightly clutching my leather jacket from behind, while I drive through the streets of New York City.

I find it hard to focus, to think straight and to make rational decisions. When I'm around her... I don't know what to do with myself. My emotions and thoughts are at constant war. I know being with her is wrong, on so many levels. There are countless reasons why I should keep my distance from her, but when I see her... I forget about them all. They leave my mind like water evaporates on a sizzling summer day, leaving no traces behind.

I park the bike and help her get off. Our next stop of today – Barnes and Nobles. She didn't strike me as someone who loves books, but it was her idea to come here. Just for the tourist attraction. Visiting the biggest bookshop in the world attracts many people.

We make a silent agreement to split up after a while, though I make sure to be near her, keeping an eye on her. Even though there aren't many dangers in a book shop, one particular bothers me – other boys and men checking her out.

I still haven't been able to identify my annoyance as jealousy. I'm sure Ace wouldn't waste a second thinking of a different term. In his eyes we're destined to be bound by love at first sight. As much of a beautiful illusion that is, I'm too sceptical to believe such things.

Only for a while am I able to focus entirely on the variety of books around me. I roam through the shelves, checking more books than I can count. Books of all genres, sizes and forms. I pick out books for my family – one for my mum, one for my dad, one for my sister, one for Ace, and one for Mae.

Done with my research and hands full of books, I turn around to look for Ashley. In the crowd of people it takes me a while. My eyes remain on her petite body only for a second, when they move to her left. They land on a man in his mid or late twenties, staring at her. I tell myself he could just be waiting for her to leave, or looking at the shelves packed with books next to her. But when his eyes scan her face in a way I don't like, I make my way over to her.

"Wow," she says, noticing the books in my hands. "Who are those for?"

"My family."

"How sweet of you, Alex." She mocks me again, for the second time today. Is my personality rubbing off on her? Though I admit her confidence makes her look even more attractive.

I look at the book she's holding, turned upwards with the backside. I don't fail to notice the little hashtag at the very bottom. I place my books down, snapping hers out of her hands.

"So this is the kind of books you prefer." She tries to take it back, but fails. I read the backside, then flip through the pages. "Good to know."

"Give it back."

I lock eyes with her, and can't help but flash her a smirk. "Do you want to recreate those scenes, angel? Just say the word."

She snaps the book out of my hands, glaring at me.

"Where are we going?"

"To the best candy shop in New York," I answer her as we walk down the street. According to Heather at least, I add to myself.

The shelves are packed with candies of all kinds. The whole shop is packed with candy, everywhere you look you see candy. It's so colourful, and the smell.... Like sugar straight from the jar. My sister would love it if she ever stepped foot in here. For certain reasons have I never taken her with me yet, although Heather has promised to take her here one day.